Position: Assistant Video Editor (Contract Position)
Reports to: Senior Video Editor
Worksite: 360 3rd Street, Suite 400, San Francisco, CA 94107
Who We Are
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel site, visited by 390 million travelers each month, and our Experiences business is a fascinating, fast-growing part of the organization. With the world’s largest selection of bookable experiences coupled with unparalleled traveler insights and advice, we’re evolving the entire attractions industry. We’re making lines and FOMO things of the past to help travelers take the best possible trips.
A skip the line tour of the Louvre? A trek through the snowy Himalayan Peaks into Everest base camp? Floating across the Kruger on an air balloon safari? Check, check, check. TripAdvisor Experiences offers unforgettable and easy-to-book experiences all over the world for every traveler.
Why This Job Is Excellent
Join our team as Assistant Editor to help us create engaging, exciting, and informative videos that promote experiences and destinations around the world for multiple brands within the TripAdvisor Media Group. The Assistant Editor will work with internal producers, the Production Manager, and the Senior Video Editor to assist the team on creating a productive environment for the Editor, ensuring a fluid shooting and editing process.
Past work should demonstrate technical skill in music and audio, intermediate skill level in color correction, an ability to navigate After Effects templates, and an expert knowledge of technical specs and data asset management. The ideal candidate is naturally quick, organized, has an eye and an ear for detail, and demonstrates professionalism through hard work, integrity, optimism and enthusiasm.
The AE maintains a balanced and structured environment in the editing room and supports the team is various ways to allow post production workflow to move at a high velocity uninterrupted.
- Work with existing video assets to customize or repurpose them for various channels or deliverable needs. Will often navigate and manipulate 2D graphic templates within After Effects.
- Ingest all video content in preparation for editors including examining unedited clips, creating metadata, syncing audio and video footage with Pluraleyes, folder and file structure management
- Occasionally handle intermediate level “finishing” stages of an edit, including: music editing, color-correction, audio mixing, applying After Effects motion graphics templates.
- Manipulate source assets for AE projects using Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Export and publish video assets meeting technical specifications for social platforms including YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.
- A variety of supporting tasks for the Video Team beyond Editor support such as arranging a workspace, fixing a technical issue, prepping hard drives for film crews, researching new gear, specifications, plugins, and software, etc.
What We Seek
- 1-3 years of experience as an Assistant Editor in Video, Film or TV Production
- Experience with video projects that are of high-quality standards for web video.
- Previous work with file structure and a strong sense of organization
- Solid, technical knowledge in all phases of post-production: managing unedited video, setting up project files, managing server file folders, export settings and profiles, compression standards, aspect ratios, codec and interlacing issues, frame rates, knowledge of archival best practices and familiarity with server systems and cloud storage
- Adept at navigating Adobe Premiere Pro, FCP X, Adobe After Effects, Pluraleyes, and Media Encoder
- Proficient at FCP 7, Prelude, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Microsoft Word & Excel, Google Docs & Sheets, Mac OS, iPhone & Android OS
- Jira experience a plus
- Has an ability to self-motivate with a knack for software troubleshooting
- Musical Sensibility – to make music selections from a large music library and edit music pieces on beat
- Is at home with left brain and detail-oriented tasks, yet is exceptionally flexible and agile when it comes to last-minute changes and re-prioritization.
- Expert at listening closely to instructions and receiving creative criticism well.
- Has a levelheaded communication style. They are able to balance assertiveness with sensitivity, remain cool under pressure, and demonstrate a positive and collaborative attitude.
NOTE: Please provide a demo reel or recent and relevant work that exhibits your best Post “Finishing” abilities (color correction, audio mix, AE graphic template manipulation). Please define your role on each video project you send. This is not a position for students or beginner level Assistant Editors. Please only respond if you have a strong portfolio of professional work.