Senior Manager, Business Development, Japan
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel website with over 450M monthly unique users. More users rely on its content and booking solutions every month than any other online travel company to plan their travels.
The Business Development (BD) team develops strategic and high profile b2b relationships with industry leaders in each market to achieve win-win objectives.
We are looking for an experienced senior business manager to continue the strong growth of TripAdvisor’s presence in Japan. S/he will be responsible to achieve our objectives in brand, content, user engagement and revenue.
This role requires an assertive, independent and resourceful candidate who enjoys working in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. The Senior Manager, Business Development, Japan will lead the expansion of our strategic partnerships, collaborate with our teams in Tokyo, across Asia and in the US to continuously improve the product experience and grow commercial contributions.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong technical competency, bring solid relationship building, analytical and communication skills; and be prepared to develop and execute against a country plan with defined business objectives.
S/he will have a strong background in business development and account management, with good exposure in working with teams in digital product optimization. Previous experience in growing high profile and strategic partnerships, online content syndication and developing JV projects would be valuable.
The role will report to the Senior Director of Partnerships, APAC based in Singapore.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Developing the Japan Partnerships//Business development strategy, identifying long term opportunities to grow the business as a senior member of the APAC Partnerships team
- Identifying new leads in priority sectors, initiating engagement, collaborating with internal direct or matrixed teams on proposals that contribute to defined metrics
- Lead strategic negotiations with partners as the company contact point to align and represent multiple internal business unit objectives
- Managing key partnerships, developing additional initiatives to deepen engagement and grow contribution to overall business objectives
- Managing and growing programs in content licensing and commerce syndication
- Exploring JVs opportunities with strategic partners, develop MVP concepts and iterate to optimize performance
- Tracking and analysing key partner performance against goals, highlight growth opportunities and facilitate solutions with partner and internal teams
- Identifying opportunities in TripAdvisor’s Japanese product, collaborate with global teams to improve and optimize experience for users
- Liaising with product, content, marketing and engineering teams to execute localized solutions or partnerships projects
- Managing contract revisions in English with the support of the legal team
- Managing BD team members in Japan to achieve objectives
- 8-10 years’ experience in business development at a leading online, travel or media company. Experience working in the online travel ecosystem in Japan will be a strong asset
- Experienced at building and growing client relationships at senior management levels through positive communication, honesty and trust
- Excellent prospecting, negotiation and analytic skills to ensure partnerships are secured and executed with optimum performance
- Solid experience in technical execution, enjoys problem solving and managing digital products in effective project implementation
- Excellent at managing internal relationships, balancing stakeholder interests across different geographies and nationalities
- Has a good understanding of Japanese consumer travel and online behaviours; and be able identify potential partner opportunities and product solutions
- Target driven and proven self-starter with ability to deliver on target in a fast-paced environment without supervision
- Able to manage and motivate a small team to achieve aggressive targets
- Fluency in Japanese and English
- Some travel within and outside of Japan