3S Home is looking for a Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead interested in applying their skills at the intersection of data science, Python development, scalable content creation, and NLP. This position will be part of a small, growing team working on a rapidly evolving product. Your expertise in Python and team mentorship will guide meaningful decisions to set us up for scalable future growth.
The Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead will drive the design and execution of technical solutions and improvements. The Senior Software Engineer works closely with our software engineers and our product team to promote best practices, which assure code and architecture quality, control technical debt, improve code reviews, and promote collaboration. Successful candidates will have shown the ability to ship quality products in a fast-paced agile environment.
To give a sense for the breadth of challenges you’ll be able to tackle, the team has been facing decisions such as -
- How do the pros/cons of NoSQL vs SQL databases weigh into the direction we’re headed?
- Does a monorepo work best for our team?
- What design patterns are most effective in solving challenges around classes that use mostly the same data, but each have their own unique differentiations?
- What kind of scaffolding, CI/CD steps, or internal tools can we build to increase our velocity?
Rather than inherit a bunch of systems and processes that are set in stone, you’ll be able to own and evolve everything you touch as a leader of an open-minded team that’s always interested in improvements.
- Be the first point of contact for all technical architecture decisions of the product.
- Manage a small team of motivated developers by supporting their learning and growth.
- Identify areas of improvement everywhere in the tech stack.
- Weigh in on technical debt decisions.
- Write awesome code (primarily Python)
- Improve the existing codebase by managing code reviews and pull requests.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or similar.
- 4+ years of engineering experience
- 1+ year in a position where you contributed towards meaningful decisions around the direction the technical solutions should take, preferably as a team/tech lead.
- A deep interest in effective solutions to technical problems. You understand and enjoy learning about different design patterns and how they can elegantly solve problems.
- A deep interest in a wide range of technologies. We work with Python, SQL, MongoDB, FastAPI, poetry, GitHub Actions, DevOps tooling, Docker, web development (HTML/CSS/JS/Bootstrap/etc) and anything else that helps get the job done in a way that’s effective for the team.
- Work well with and mentors our motivated, more junior developers. It’s possible you’ll have direct reports if that fits your career vision, but if you prefer to avoid people-management we are open to that path as well in this position.
- Enjoy working in fast-paced startup environments. Having a proactive vision for heading off future problems would be very valuable.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional team members including SEO, business leadership, and data science to build a market-leading product that drives business growth
3S Home is part of the Three Ships family of digital businesses. Three Ships started as a digital agency in 2009, and today encompasses businesses in the Home, Auto, Legal, and Health industries with a collective goal of simplifying the ways people discover, research, and buy.. We have a proven playbook and are looking for an entrepreneurial leader to apply it to new uncharted areas. You will have a front-row seat to build and grow a business and there is no cap on growth, promotions, or the opportunity to own and put your stamp on important projects. Here at Three Ships, we are a mighty team with subject matter experts in creative, branding, content strategy, SEO, paid media, and more. The opportunity to grow and learn new skills is endless.
Bottom line, at Three Ships, we have a high bar for excellence, but also a real interest in each other and making work fun. We’re excited to have you see what we’re all about firsthand.
About 3S Home
- Launched Fall 2017
- 3S Home targets the rapidly digitizing home services vertical
- 3S Home matches homeowners with the right service provider to meet their needs.
- Through our websites and partners, 3S Home has a proprietary audience of 25M+ homeowners and prime real estate in search engines.
- We have created a whole class and layer of guides, reviews, and ratings that are “best on the Internet” and editorially independent.
- We use this audience to help leading home services brands acquire new customers.
As a full-time employee of Three Ships, you’ll have access to competitive benefits, including flexible time off, health/dental/vision, 401k match, an annual Relax & Recharge Bonus, an annual Learning & Development stipend to enroll in class(es) of your choosing, and up to $75 mobile reimbursement. If you join us in person in our Raleigh or Charlotte locations, we have an office stocked with snacks, coffee, and just about every other beverage you can imagine.
How We Hire
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this role. All offers are subject to a background check