Takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Software Engineer (Scala) to join our team in Cape Town or Johannesburg.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
Think you’ve been challenged before? Think again!
- Scale: Over 2.5 million happy shoppers shop online on takealot.com. Show them what you can do.
- Learn: We work with the best of the best, and then some. Code alongside industry leaders and upskill in record time.
- Grow: Expand your career in the fast-growing Takealot Group: takealot.com, Superbalist.com and Mr D. We like to promote from within: Here’s your chance.
Who’s who in the tech space
This position reports to the Software Engineering Manager.
We are an energetic team that is fully responsible for all the systems required to support the Takealot groups delivery network as well as the unique challenges that come with logistics and scale. We have adopted a microservices architecture to both isolate our logic and to enable scale. We follow the event driven architecture as well as utilize a graph database to model our delivery network. We are currently working through unique problems in the logistics space and are actively researching the usage of the actor model design pattern and graph traversal optimization.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Developing and optimizing systems to manage both parcel and food delivery throughout South Africa
- Working with business to improve processes to allow for more efficient deliveries
- Researching and defining solutions within the logistic domain
- Working predominantly on open source platforms
- End to end ownership of solutions
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to adapt to change
- Willing to learn as well as teach others
Qualifications & Experience:
- A suitable degree or similar qualification
- Experience in writing robust, efficient production code
- Experience with SQL database systems
- Experience with development in a Linux environment
- Proficient in a strongly typed language such as Scala, Java or C#
- Open to diversifying language skill set
- Experience with the following will be advantageous:
- Play Framework
- Akka Actors
- Mqtt & Kafka
- Amazon Web Services
- Graphite and Grafana
Let’s talk about life @ Takealot Group
- The power is in your hands: We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs. Go on, be the master of your own destiny.
- No doors: We aren’t fans of stuffy offices or siloed work environments. See someone you like? High five, collab and make something great.
- Remote working: Love water cooler chats and working from home? Takealot.com offers a hybrid working model for the best of both worlds.
- Mentorship programme: We aren’t kidding when we say the people with the best people win. Now’s your chance to be one of the best, by learning from the best.
- Naspers Tech Community & Online Learning: Share ideas and grow with global industry leaders who are all just a Slack message away. Love to learn? Up-skill with free access to courses on MyAcademy, Udacity, Coursera and more.
- Good times: Get to know the other extraordinary minds at takealot.com during regular social events and out-of-office activities (think hikes, think mini golf, think good times).
- Staff discount. Millions of products across 28 departments. What more could you ask for?
- Birthday leave: Cake Day all the way. Enjoy your day off - you deserve it.
- Right tools, right job: Mac or Windows, two monitors or one. Whatever your preference, you’ll work on the latest tech, off the latest tech.
- Help when you need it most: Confidential counselling, legal support and financial guidance, for free, anytime, anywhere.
- Tech stack (for days): ReactJS, Python, Scala, Kotlin, Swift, Google Cloud, Kafka, Redis, Kubernetes and all things machine learning. If you build it, they will come.
- Free parking: No more 5km fun runs to your desk (unless you want to).
Like what you see?
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind. Apply today!!
Takealot Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.