We’re looking to hire a Head of Structural Biology to join us in our mission to discover and develop drugs that improve human health.
Schrödinger’s mission is to revolutionize drug discovery through the use of breakthrough computational methods. We are currently looking for outstanding individuals to join our drug discovery group and contribute to our rapidly expanding portfolio of drug discovery collaborations.
Our drug discovery group of over 80 scientists includes designers, modelers, computational chemists, medicinal chemists, structural biologists, biochemists, and biologists with experience working on all common target classes and therapeutic areas. We also engage with Contract Research Organizations (CRO) and Consultants in the course of our work. The group is supported by more than 100 software developers and engineers as well as a large scale compute infrastructure. Four of the programs we’ve worked on in the past 7 years have progressed into the clinic; three are still progressing through trials and one is approved by the FDA.
Who will love this job:
- A passionate and highly motivated structural biologist with a strong understanding of all aspects of their field, including construct design, protein production and purification, protein crystallization, X-ray crystallography, cryo-EM, and structural refinement techniques
- An innovative scientist who enjoys being at the forefront of the latest technological advancements and scientific developments for structural determination of proteins, antibodies and protein-ligand complexes
- An experienced team leader in the field with a proven track record of driving teams - both on-site as well as remote - in the pursuit of challenging, previously uncharacterized structures
What you’ll do:
- Oversee the expansion of our structural biology capabilities by working with both internal scientists as well as CROs around the world
- Drive the structural determination of novel, previously unsolved protein structures for the enablement of new drug discovery programs
- Participate in the identification and characterization of new potential targets for drug discovery, and assess their amenability to structural determination
- Work with a large multi-disciplinary team to ensure that our drug discovery programs are structurally-enabled and well-supported all the way to the clinic
What you should have:
- A PhD in Structural Biology, with a focus on the use of X-ray crystallography and/or cryo-EM for the determination of protein and protein-ligand complexes
- 10+ years of experience as head of a structural biology team in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology setting, supporting a diverse array of drug discovery programs
- A proven track record of devising strategies for the structural determination of highly challenging targets, using a variety of technologies and approaches
- Experience working with structural biology CROs, and extensive familiarity with their capabilities