Title: Data Scientist, Bixby Voice Assistant
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: NA Bixby Lab
Location: Mountain View, CA
North America Bixby Lab builds and operates the core A.I. platform that powers Bixby, Samsung’s A.I. virtual assistant. Bixby is an intelligent personal assistant which is only available as a built-in application on millions of Samsung flagship devices and wearables. This application uses Natural Language Understanding to perform tasks on these devices using voice/ text, including but not limited to making phone calls, sending text messages, setting up meetings, opening apps, setting alarms and timers, getting directions, answering general questions, providing information about restaurants and other businesses, etc.
The Data Science team aims to create a delightful experience for Bixby customers. As a Data Scientist in the team, you will be the bridge between millions of users and Machine learning teams. Machine learning teams heavily rely on the insights from Data Science team to improve the models for better end user experience. You get the opportunity to define the roadmap of the service by giving insights to key stake holders. By applying your technical skills, analytical mindset, and product intuition, you will help define the experiences we build for millions of users. Your primary focus will be to understand user behavior, evaluate speech, natural language models and provide data driven insights. You will closely work with Product Managers / Subject Matter Experts, Lab Leaders, Linguistic Experts, brainstorm different ideas.
- You will work with large-scale data, design, build data pipelines and modern tools to identify key insights that inform product improvements and business strategy.
- Work with large and complex data sets to solve a wide array of challenging problems using different analytical and statistical approaches.
- Define, understand, and test opportunities and levers to improve the product, and drive roadmaps through your insights and recommendations.
- Partner with Product, Engineering, and cross-functional teams to inform, influence, support, and execute product strategy and investment decisions.
- Set up processes to monitor key product metrics to understand trends.
- Ability to develop, improve, and execute on experimental measurement plans for new products and features
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics or equivalent.
- 5+ years of professional experience in data science or product analytics.
- Experience with one or more of the following in an applied setting developing statistical frameworks to understand customers and their behaviors, advanced statistical techniques for A/B testing, methods for experimental design, causal inference, or quasi-experimental analysis
- Strong passion for applied empirical analytics, data mining, and predictive analytics to develop impactful insights.
- Mastery in SQL-based languages, and proficiency large-scale data languages such as PySpark.
- 5-7 Years of experience with building end-to-end systems based on machine learning or deep learning methods (ETL, modeling and deployment).
- Strong proponent of experimental test and design, and practical experience with interpreting observational results.
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures and run-time analysis.
- Experience with machine learning techniques, tools, and frameworks like Keras, Tensor Flow, pytorch.
- Able to solve real–world problems using cutting–edge ideas and independent research.
- Adept at adapting academic ideas and theoretical algorithms into a production system.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.