At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is on the lookout for talented Physics Programmers across all levels of experience, who are passionate about developing soft body dynamics and collision systems, using them in creative and novel ways. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar's unique studio in the heart of Edinburgh, Scotland.
WHAT WE DO
- We iterate toward the perfect blend of realism and fun in how games feel to play by utilizing the core physics engine.
- We implement a variety of physics-based systems including, but not limited to vehicle dynamics, water, destructible objects and rope.
- We support the design, AI and gameplay teams to be able to use the physics systems in order to create novel new mission, AI and gameplay mechanics.
- Support and collaborate with other departments such as design, animation & AI, to implement complex game features.
- Help maintain existing soft body simulation and collision systems, and expand them to support new features throughout the lifetime of our projects.
- Work with artists to create new interactive objects, vehicles and characters for the game.
- Physics, mathematics, computer science or equivalent degree.
- Ability to work with artists, designers, coders and other content creators to make sure they can get the most out of our technology.
- Demonstrable experience in C/C++.
- Knowledge soft body dynamics with constraints and collision (ex: cloth simulation, bounding volume hierarchies, etc...).
- Strong maths skills (linear algebra, trigonometry, matrix/quaternion math).
- Strong SIMD and multi-threaded programming skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with an emphasis on debugging C++ code.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- A video show reel or C++ code samples demonstrating your creativity and flair for physics & animation programming, preferably with an emphasis on utilizing physics.
- Knowledge of character animation systems and IK.
- Knowledge of geometry processing.
- Knowledge of GPU programming.
- One shipped title; preferably on the Xbox and/or PlayStation consoles.
- Familiarity with existing physics engines.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.