We are interviewing and onboarding 100% virtually at this time. PagerDuty is focused on inclusion and employee well-being by building a culture that isn’t location specific and gives equal opportunity to everyone—regardless of where you are working. Unless your job requirements make it necessary to be in a company office, you may choose to work in-office, remotely, or hybrid.
Why We Need You
As a Senior Software Engineer in Platform, you’ll help lead PagerDuty through a highly strategic transformation from a pure product to a platform. PagerDuty is transitioning from a set of products to a platform that consists of a set of configurable, flexible building blocks that can be leveraged to manage a variety of real-time work and real-time workflows.
With that, we are increasing our engagement with partners integrating other tools with PagerDuty, consultants building bespoke solutions, and customers customizing the platform and creating deeper integrations to fit specific environments and specific workflows. Come help us kick off the new Platform group, which will consist of a new set of product development teams who are building the building blocks of the new PagerDuty Platform.
Your mission is to help our customers better manage a variety of different types of real-time urgent work, not just in Software and IT Operations, but in a variety of other functions across the landscape of Digital Operations. In this role, you’ll play a key technical leadership role across several development teams working to define and build a set of platform building blocks to manage real-time work and real-time workflows.
The Platform team is working closely with other product development teams internally who will leverage these building blocks to build new products. We’re also working closely with customers and partners to better understand their needs as it comes to platform flexibility and customizability; our larger, more sophisticated customers, in particular, are asking for a high level of customizability in terms of how they manage real-time work (such as alerts, incidents, post-mortems, security events, etc).
- Think long term and partner with our Co-Founder and Platform GM and our peers in product management to build out a long term vision for the PagerDuty Platform.
- Design and architect the set of flexible platform building blocks that will become the PagerDuty Platform.
- Work backward from our multi-year vision and create a plan for the PagerDuty Platform that we can execute in multiple phases and that will deliver value to customers not just in the long term, but also in the medium and short term.
- Create and implement a plan that will evolve our existing architecture, micro-services, and larger services into this new platform design, over the course of multiple milestones. To use a tried and true analogy, this will be like replacing the engine of the plane while mid-flight.
- Collaborate closely across many different product development teams to validate and pressure test our new platform architecture, design, APIs, and user experience.
- Be a coach and mentor to engineers of all experience levels. You’ve been a technical leader and really enjoy mentoring and leading projects and driving technical excellence within the team.
Skills and Attributes
- You have extensive experience re-architecting a complex product and breaking a monolith up into multiple services / micro-services. You know the best practices of undertaking such initiatives as well as the pitfalls to avoid (and have the scars to prove it).
- You are empathetic - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others and facilitate these technical discussions to a successful outcome.
- You do good work and lots of it; the drive to deliver is just a part of you.
- You have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- You can prioritize and execute multiple tasks in a highly dynamic environment with a results-oriented mindset.
- You have 8+ years designing, developing, and managing customer-facing SaaS applications and web-based systems.
- You have strong experience in designing and building REST APIs.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Elixir, Ruby on Rails, Kafka, React.
- Experience with agile (scrum, kanban, lean) delivery methodologies.
- Public cloud engineering on AWS (preferred), Azure, or GCP platforms.
- You’ve played a key role or contributing role on architecting or building a developer platform.
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
We are dedicated to providing a culture where our people are happy, enabled and inspired to do their best. One of the ways we do this is by developing a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports employees and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave - up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
- Dutonian Wellness Days - scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO and scheduled holidays
- HibernationDuty - a week each year when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a global leader in digital operations management, serving over 14,000 customers and 850,000 users worldwide, including 65% of the Fortune 100.
For the teams who build and run digital systems, PagerDuty is the best way to manage the urgent, mission-critical work that is essential to keeping digital services always on. We make it easy to handle any unplanned task, event, or opportunity, right away.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, 50% of our board of directors is comprised of women, 45% of our managers are from underrepresented groups, and we are a proud member of the Pledge 1% Movement, committed to donating 1% Equity, 1% Employee time, and 1% Product to accelerate change in our communities. We are Great Place to Work-certified™ and our product is top rated in its category on TrustRadius.
From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.