Nubank is the leading financial technology company in Latin America. Its first product, launched in 2014, is a no-fee credit card that is fully managed by a mobile app. Almost 30 million people have requested the product since launch, and the company has passed the 10 million customer mark. In 2017, Nubank launched its proprietary loyalty rewards program ("Nubank Rewards"), as well as a digital account ("NuConta") that is already used by 7 million people. This year, the company began testing its personal loan service and took its first steps in international expansion, opening offices in Mexico and Argentina. To date, Nubank has raised around US$ 420 million in seven equity investment rounds from Sequoia Capital, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, QED, Founders Fund, DST Global, Redpoint Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital and Tencent. Recently, Nubank was elected as the most innovative company in Latin America and ranked no. 36 on Fast Company' 50 Most Innovative Companies ranking.
Our Data Science Chapter
Nubank is a financial technology company that is rethinking financial services in Brazil. We are always looking for outstanding Data Scientists to help us understand the drives of key business metrics and build decision policies to continuously improve customer experience.
We believe in:
- Good team chemistry;
- Enthusiasm for building and delivering new features and products;
- Capacity to keep learning new things while constantly improving what we are already good at;
- Collaborating efficiently to ship a great product experience to our customers.
What are the challenges Data Scientists face at Nubank?
- Use millions of data points along our sociological intuition to model complex user preferences and behavior;
- Automate decision making process taking into account non trivial feedback loops between the dections process and the data generating process;
- Target our products to the best audience;
- Integrate data from multiple sources to build insightful new features.
How we work
At Nubank we don't shy away from using the latest and greatest algorithms and techniques; in fact, we encourage them.
- Experimental design and evaluation for both discrete and continuous treatments;
- Build statistical models to understand the causal relationships in data among drivers of business policies;
- Leverage both experimental and non experimental data to optimize decision logic;
- Spread Econometrics, Statistics and Causal Inference knowledge inside Nubank;
- Integrating experiments inside our decision making tools using Python;
- Gather and clean data for analysis and models;
We are a very process-light organisation that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and avoid coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success, and optimize processes to remove bottlenecks.
Our technological stack is primarily Python for statistical modeling and Spark on top of Scala for data manipulation. While we value candidates that are familiar with the tools we use, we are also confident that data scientists who are interested in joining Nubank will be able to learn from our team. Therefore, knowledge in those specific programming languages is not necessary to move forward in this hiring process.
We are excited to meet people with various areas of expertise (both experienced and college seniors) – there is no single ideal profile. We believe there is room for very diverse skill sets to add value.
- Competitive compensation package, including opportunity to earn equity ownership in Nubank
- Health, dental and life insurance
- Meal allowance (“vale refeição”)
- Flexibility to choose your own custom setup (computer, monitors, OS etc.)
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to build products and experiences for everyone who wants to take back control over their finances, that's why we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of our team recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.