We're open to candidates within Canada. 

At MetaLab, we design, build, and ship some of the world’s most beloved products. Founders at early-stage startups hire us to help build businesses from scratch. Leaders at global enterprises hire us to explore new technologies and launch new products. 

We're a distributed team with offices in Victoria and Vancouver. Half the company works remotely around the world, so you must be comfortable working independently with minimal supervision. As a Bookkeeper at MetaLab, you’ll help keep our company running smoothly by handling accounts payable and accounts receivable. 

We are looking for someone who is detail-oriented, self-motivated, and takes satisfaction from a job well done. If you have the experience—or education—then this may be the right opportunity for you.

Your responsibilities

• Process a variety of accounts payable and receivable transactions
  • Prepare monthly cash flow reports
  • Resolve invoice and bill discrepancies and variances
  • Maintain general ledger; verify supporting documentation and prepare journal entries
  • Prepare various remittances (GST, Employer Health Tax, WorkSafeBC)
  • Provide input and recommend improvements to all accounts payable and receivable practices and processes
  • Assist with the month-end process such as bank and balance sheet account reconciliations; prepare month-end reporting packages
  • Assist with year-end assurance and tax including preparing supporting documentation for our external accountants
  • Assist with financial analysis on special projects, both short and long-term

Must-have shortlist

• Experience with bookkeeping software, Xero in particular, is an asset
  • Excellent documentation skills and the ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and with confidence, both verbally and in writing
  • Attention to detail and the ability to strike a balance between accuracy, efficiency, and quality
  • Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs, with a focus towards Excel/gSheets
  • Comfortable working as a member of a remote team, and working independently with minimal supervision
  • Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
  • Eagerness to learn, flexibility, and a willingness to take on a variety of responsibilities

Equal opportunity employer

Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criteria. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box? Reach out anyways!  We’re an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life.  We hire based on talent, and we’re proud of our global perspective.

Apply for this Job

* Required

Voluntary Demographics

At MetaLab, we hire based on raw talent and authenticity, not race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or anything else.

We conduct this voluntary demographic questionnaire to identify opportunities to promote a more inclusive hiring process.

Your response, or choice to not respond, is entirely voluntary and will not affect or be linked to your application in any way. Should you choose to respond, your responses will be used in aggregate only and remain entirely anonymous.

I identify my gender as:

I identify as transgender:

I identify my sexual orientation as:

Candidates within North America ONLY (leave blank if outside North America): I identify my ethnic origin as (mark all that apply):

Candidates outside North America ONLY (leave blank if within North America): I identify my ethnic origin as (mark all that apply):

I have a disability or impairment (check all that apply):