Remote candidates within +/- 3 hours of the PST timezone are welcome to apply.

At MetaLab, we design, build, and ship some of the world’s most beloved products. Founders at early-stage startups hire us to help build businesses from scratch. Leaders at global enterprises hire us to explore new technologies and launch new products. 

Our engineering leads are involved in projects from the very start—developing the product vision and defining the roadmap. To thrive in this role, you should be comfortable working directly with clients, enjoy working with designers, and exercise good judgement in technical decisions. As a lead, you’ll also mentor other engineers and help us evolve our processes. 

If you’re passionate about building software the right way, then this could be the perfect role for you. Come work with us where you’ll enjoy building modern software alongside a capable team at a sustainable pace. Oh, and because we don’t maintain production systems… there’s no pager duty.

Your Responsibilities

• Oversee the engineering process and make technical decisions, jumping into the code alongside your team as needed
  • Collaborate with Producers, Client Partners, and Design Leads to scope project requirements 
  • Contribute to product vision, product roadmaps, and product specifications
  • Lead teams of 2–5 developers on client projects (typically for one project at a time)
  • Assign appropriate tasks for each developer and anticipate your team’s needs while proactively removing roadblocks 
  • Onboard clients and engineers on to projects, and effectively coordinate project handoffs
  • Help grow the Engineering team by participating in hiring interviews and code reviews and making suggestions for process improvements
  • Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment 
  • Identify the department’s opportunities for growth and help develop initiatives
  • Drive towards and advocate for MetaLab’s quality bar in everything you do

The Must-have Shortlist

• You have 5+ years of engineering experience with 1+ years in a lead or manager role
  • You have experience with Front End production applications ideally using React/Redux with ES6+
  • You have experience with Back End production applications using JSON REST API methodology and ideally one of these languages: Rails, Node, Java, Go, Python
  • You've architected an application and can understand how business trade-offs impact technical choices, and vice versa
  • You can communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences and are comfortable frequently leading presentations of work 
  • You take just as much pride in helping others find solutions as you do in coming up with your own
  • You appreciate design and are able to protect its integrity without compromising fidelity or feasibility

Bonus Points

• You’re comfortable with ambiguity and even more comfortable asking the kinds of questions that lead to clarity
  • You’re adaptable and quick to embrace unexpected changes in direction
  • You’re motivated by feedback and by the opportunity to improve in your role, in the work, and in how you work together as a team

Equal opportunity employer

Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criteria. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box? Reach out anyways!  We’re an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life.  We hire based on talent, and we’re proud of our global perspective.

Apply for this Job

* Required

Voluntary Demographics

At MetaLab, we hire based on raw talent and authenticity, not race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or anything else.

We conduct this voluntary demographic questionnaire to identify opportunities to promote a more inclusive hiring process.

Your response, or choice to not respond, is entirely voluntary and will not affect or be linked to your application in any way. Should you choose to respond, your responses will be used in aggregate only and remain entirely anonymous.

I identify my gender as:

I identify as transgender:

I identify my sexual orientation as:

Candidates within North America ONLY (leave blank if outside North America): I identify my ethnic origin as (mark all that apply):

Candidates outside North America ONLY (leave blank if within North America): I identify my ethnic origin as (mark all that apply):

I have a disability or impairment (check all that apply):