We are open to remote candidates located within LATAM.

At Metalab, our Engineering Directors strike a balance between oversight, learning, and development. This role is for the kind of person who can see the big picture from any vantage point. On any given day, you’re able to step up and lead or step back and evaluate how to best support your team. Adaptability, humility, and resourcefulness are table stakes, as no two projects, clients, or developers are alike. 

You’ll need to be able to effectively communicate and collaborate not only with your engineering peers but with other cross-functional teams at Metalab to advocate for and evolve the Engineering department. You’ll also represent Metalab in client contexts and public events, so your ability to read a room and articulate with confidence is paramount to your (and our) success. Most importantly, you’ll have an undeniable passion for engineering and you thrive when you’re supporting others in achieving their best work. 

What you’ll do

• Co-manage a 35+ person engineering team and mentor our senior engineers and leads
  • Drive the overall Engineering team’s operations and strategy, from day-to-day processes to long-term direction
  • Collaborate with the Client Partnerships team to pitch engagements to clients
  • Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of engineering engagements
  • Involved in vetting, hiring, and training new members of the engineering team
  • Help grow our teams in the LATAM region
  • Advocate for the engineering team internally to make sure they’re set up for success
  • Collaborate with the rest of Metalab's leadership team to keep company engagement high
  • Articulate constructive feedback, and ensure the engineering team is evaluated and supported on an ongoing basis 
  • Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the engineering team
  • Able to roll up your sleeves in the work, providing guidance and direction to project teams when needed
  • Interacts with the engineering team daily, and with clients when needed
  • Manage multiple client projects at a time, ensuring they are delivering on time and budget

Requirements

• 7+ years as a web or mobile engineer, in addition to 5+ years leading a software development team
  • Experience pitching and managing successful large-scale delivery accounts of $2m+
  • Experience growing and managing a portfolio of accounts at the same time
  • Strong Back End production application experience using JSON REST and GraphQL API methodologies and ideally one of these languages: Node, Rails, Go, Python
  • You have experience developing frontend client applications using React and/or React Native
  • You can communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences and are comfortable leading presentations of work frequently
  • You can produce diagrams and documentation that reflect architectural decisions, patterns, and principles
  • You have experience designing API schemas, data models, and database architecture for large-scale platform builds
  • Solid understanding of the digital product-building process—from start to finish 
  • You’ve built and shipped several products and/or complex design systems to market in the past two years

Strength in leading and mentoring an engineering team. You have previously led a team of engineers building products and/or complex design systems 

• Expert-level understanding of software development patterns and opinions on industry best practices 
  • You enjoy taking complex problems and transforming them into elegant and simple solutions 
  • Ability to present to clients with credibility, clarity, and confidence
  • Experience writing statement of work (SOW) and scope definitions for client delivery
  • Experience leading large teams globally: developers, product, and QA teams
  • Experienced working with clients and procurement in an agency environment
  • Experience leading remote and managing nearshore development teams
  • ​​Ability how to motivate and guide engineers to successful careers
  • Keen interest in working with world-class companies and great teammates to launch products worth talking about
  • Ability to travel to client meetings

Nice to haves

• Experience in machine learning and AI
  • Experience in building a physical and digital experience

Equal opportunity employer

Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criteria. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box? Reach out anyways!  We’re an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life.  We hire based on talent, and we’re proud of our global perspective.

Apply for this Job

* Required
resume chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)
cover_letter chosen  
(File types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf)

Voluntary Demographics

At MetaLab, we hire based on raw talent and authenticity, not race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or anything else.

We conduct this voluntary demographic questionnaire to identify opportunities to promote a more inclusive hiring process.

Your response, or choice to not respond, is entirely voluntary and will not affect or be linked to your application in any way. Should you choose to respond, your responses will be used in aggregate only and remain entirely anonymous.

I identify my gender as:

I identify as transgender:

I identify my sexual orientation as:

Candidates within North America ONLY (leave blank if outside North America): I identify my ethnic origin as (mark all that apply):

Candidates outside North America ONLY (leave blank if within North America): I identify my ethnic origin as (mark all that apply):

I have a disability or impairment (check all that apply):

Our system has flagged this application as potentially being associated with bot traffic. Please turn off any VPNs, clear your browser cache and cookies, or try submitting your application in a different browser. If this issue persists, please reach out to our support team via our help center.
Please complete the reCAPTCHA above.