At Interstellar Lab our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. We believe in a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with nature, a future where biodiversity thrives and expands, a future where terrestrial life become multi-planetary.
To build this future, we design, manufacture and operate controlled-environment biofarms that unleash the power of plants. On Earth and in Space. Our solutions combine Hardware, AI and Bioscience. We use controlled-environment technology to mimic a multitude of conditions to allow plants, fungi and microorganisms to grow faster and better.
On Earth, we are pioneering molecular and bio-farming, boosting production of nutrients, metabolites and bioactive compounds in plants while providing a sustainable and safe source of plant materials. Our customers are large beauty, perfume, natural ingredients, food&beverage and neutraceuticals companies.
To advance space exploration, we work with space agencies and private companies and provide them bio-farming units to grow efficiently food for astronaut and/or conduct research on impact of microgravity on plant molecular composition.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Sr HVAC and Controlled-Environment Engineer, you will be in charge of design, optimisation and control of HVAC systems of BioPods and our bio-farming solutions. You have a unique opportunity to work with an international cross functional team of engineers, designers and scientists and contribute to the development of next-generation controlled-environment greenhouses.
Your creativity and relentless commitment to quality will be expected to analyze, create and maintain HVAC systems for all our products line. We are seeking a self-driven and organized individual to determine requirements, design cooling, piping and ductwork systems and controls, manage projects, and collaborate with other teams to provide the best HVAC solutions. Climate monitoring and controlled-environment has no mystery for you. You are the best for the job and your are eager to join an ambitious team and contribute in developing, optimising and implementing our bio-farming approach. On Earth and in Space.
- Manager HVAC systems engineering from design to assembly
- Develop HVAC component and system level requirements based on initial product requirements
- Collaborate with engineering on mechanical design and packing of HVAC components to meet system requirements
- Use fluid dynamic, thermodynamic, and heat transfer scientific knowledge as required to design tubing and piping systems
- Interact with other engineers to design the physical piping layout of the fluids systems
- Work closely with other engineers to increase system automation
- Assist with advanced troubleshooting
- Manage suppliers and projects to ensure timely program deliverables within budget
- Oversee project schedule accuracy and milestone reporting to engineers, contractors, fabricators, and project stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
- 7+ years of professional experience with fluid systems, hydraulics and HVAC systems
- 5+ years in Controlled-Environment Agriculture or Indoor Farming
- Expertise in 3D modeling fluid systems
- Demonstrated experience with CATIA/3DExperience or similar CAD software
- Expertise in running CFD analysis and simulating HVAC systems
- Demonstrated experience with SIMULIA or similar CFD software
- Hands-on experience working with complex fluid or mechanical systems in a professional setting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Polyvalent spirit and ability to switch from design to hands-on phases
- Demonstrated experience designing high quality HVAC systems for high reliability applications
- Experience with fluid systems assembly, operation and test
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven, and demanding atmosphere
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.