The Senior Buyer will be joining the team that is responsible for 70% of iHerb's revenue and responsible for growing their portfolio with new exciting brands and vendors. In addition will also oversee vendor relations, negotiations, procurement, pricing, and promotions of brands/products. In addition, the Senior Buyer may also be responsible for hiring, managing, and mentoring activities and development of Buyers/Jr. Buyers. This role is the third step in the buying progression (after Buyer) and is responsible for large volume and highly visible suppliers.
- Work closely with Category Manager and Senior Management to ensure all are aligned on business strategies, short and long-term growth objectives
- Directly responsible for key category metrics (KPIs) for the following: new and existing brands, new products, pricing, margin, promotions, and product life cycle
- Negotiate with vendors to secure exceptional everyday pricing, promotional dollars, special opportunity buys, rebates, growth incentives, delivery, and payment terms
- Administer and manage RFQ packages, execution of contracts, product evaluation, quality issues; create and maintain supplier, product database
- Drive new product/brand onboarding process to ensure timely and quick to site/market
- Build, edit and maintain assortment to create market advantage while reflecting customer needs/requests and adhering to iHerb model
- Calculate, maintain and approve critical cost and pricing changes in the system to ensure desired mark-ups, margin
- Manage and develop strong vendor relations through regular and consistent communication to ensure a clear understanding of short/long-term goals and capabilities
- Coordinate with Planning Team and Replenishment Buyers in managing inventory turns, service level, order cycles, deal implementation and general supply chain practices
- Create, review and utilize reports to enable in-depth analysis of category successes/challenges
- Develop promotional co-op activities that are profitable and highly effective in conjunction with Marketing
The duties and responsibilities described above may provide only a partial description of this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of the job. Other duties and responsibilities not outlined in this document may be added as necessary or desirable, with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong, successful and proven negotiating skills
- Strong analytical, data management and decision-making abilities
- Strong mathematical skills with an understanding of retail pricing concepts
- Ability to communicate written and verbally in a professional manner with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Great attention to detail, highly organized with strong project management skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, problem solve and prioritize with an awareness of deadlines
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Google Business Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms) preferred
- WMS, EDI, NetSuite, Tableau experience a plus
Generally, requires a minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience in buying or directly related role with equivalent responsibilities, preferably in an e-commerce environment with natural products experience a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field preferred, or a combination of education and equivalent work experience.
Judgment/Reasoning Ability: Able to identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems quickly using sound judgment, poise and diplomacy. Ability to use judgment and reasoning skills, and determine when to escalate issues, as required, in a timely manner.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to talk and hear. The Team Member is frequently required to sit, walk, climb stairs, use hands and fingers, bend, stoop and reach with hands and arms. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. The Team Member may occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to 25 pounds. Proper lifting techniques required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The noise in the work environment is usually moderate. Other factors are:
- Hectic, fast-paced with multi-level distractions
- Professional, yet casual work environment
- Office / Warehouse environment
- Ability to work extended hours as required
iHerb is a leading global e-commerce retailer with an emphasis on providing an exceptional selection of nutritional and wellness products for the past 25 years. With over 30,000 products shipped to over 180 countries, we provide the best overall value for natural products through an innovative and efficient supply chain process.
Our teams have a strong sense of commitment and pride in their work, which has allowed us to grow, even during the recent pandemic. At iHerb, our purpose is to empower people to enhance their health, happiness, and well-being — that starts with valuing our team members by providing a positive work environment with competitive benefits. Our five shared values unite our team members across the globe and provide a stable foundation. These values speak to who we are, the culture we’re building, and how every single team member contributes to our larger company vision.
iHerb's Shared Values
Focus on the Customer · Empower Our People · Be Entrepreneurial & Pivot Quickly · Embrace Diversity & Inclusion · Strive for Simplicity
At iHerb, we are dedicated to offering programs designed to help our employees and their families stay healthy, live well and plan for the financial future. Built on a strong foundation, our programs provide options and upgrades with flexibility, protection, and security in mind. Below is a snapshot of the benefits we offer our team members. For a more comprehensive listing, visit www.iHerbBenefits.com.
- Medical Care: Starting in 2021, iHerb covers 100% of the associated cost for medical benefits
- Dental and Vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401(k) + company match (100% of the first 6% of the employee’s contribution)
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account (for qualifying expenses)
- Pet Insurance
- Voluntary Supplemental Benefits
- Education Reimbursement Programs
- Professional Development and Job Training
- Wellness Programs with opportunity to earn up to $300 per year
We strive for innovation, targeted at delivering a customer-centric experience while transforming the online shopping experience. We change direction and define ourselves in the idea that individually we are incredible but united our growth is infinite and paramount to our success. iHerb strives to be the global industry leader!
iHerb is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. iHerb provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment.