We are building something never done before.
You have an exciting opportunity ahead of you. This is your chance to join us in our mission to build the world’s first fusion power plant, enabling a future with clean, reliable, and abundant energy for everyone. It’s our hope you will join us in the journey ahead.
Our mission is courageous, and we’re looking for brilliant people who want to make a positive impact on the world. As a Helion team member, you will shape the future. You will build things that have never been built to help stop carbon emissions, promote energy independence, and end energy poverty.
We move fast, prioritize what matters, and iterate quickly so we can accelerate everything we do. At Helion, we grow and learn together while working with never-before-seen technology. As part of the team, you will work with the world’s leading scientists, engineers, and technicians to build a world-changing fusion machine.
Now is a great time to join Helion. Bring your skills, experiences, and determination to make a difference in the world. Together, we can make a future with unlimited clean energy from fusion a reality.
What You Will Be Doing:
Helion Energy is looking for a Plasma Physicist to conduct theoretical research on the electron/ion transport and ionization rates of FRC plasmas. This role will be focused on increasing our understanding of how pre-ionization affects the formation, health, and lifetime of large scale FRCs. The ideal candidate has a strong physics background involving plasma physics and electromagnetics that will help us expand our various research activities in plasma ionization processes. This work will be used to aid both our Experimental and Computational teams.
- Increase the amount of trapped flux during FRC formation through optimization of initial pre-ionization conditions
- Understand the effect of magnetic fields on ionization processes
- Determine ionization and recombination costs and time scales for various species, gas mixtures, and initial conditions
- Carry out both independent and collaborative research
- D. in plasma physics, engineering, or a closely related field
- Good understanding of plasma physics and high-powered electrodynamics
- Demonstrated conceptual and practical expertise in computational plasma physics, electromagnetics (EM), computational methods, or related area
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment as well as work independently
- Familiar with particle and energy transport, atomic physics processes and radiation, runaway electron dynamics, boundary plasma physics, and plasma-material interaction
- Knowledge of plasma interaction science, radiation transport, electromagnetic propagation, or other topical areas relevant to electromagnetic pulses
- Background in modeling electromagnetic fields and waves, circuits, and antennae
- Experience with fully ionized and partially ionized non-equilibrium plasmas or inductively produced large volume magnetized plasma sources
Per Washington Equal Pay and Opportunity Act the range for this position is $99k-$170k. Actual salary is based on education, experience, and other qualifying skill sets.
Helion is a fusion power company based in Everett, WA, with the mission to build the world’s first fusion power plant. Our vision is a world with clean, reliable, and affordable electricity for everyone. Currently, we are scaling up our latest plasma accelerator prototype to make our vision a reality.
We’re hiring brilliant scientists, engineers, and builders passionate about developing world-changing technologies. If that sounds like you, join our team.
Who We Are
We are a team of engineers, scientists, and makers, and we are on a mission to build the world’s first fusion power plant. We believe fusion energy can truly change the world. It will solve climate change on a global scale and ensure energy independence while making electricity more affordable than ever before. Ultimately, we are striving to make the world a better place for everyone.
Our Core Values
We live by a set of five core values that guide everything we do. We challenge one another to uphold these values to create a mission-driven and values-oriented culture:
Get things done - Build stuff that works - Be extraordinary - Have courage - Character
Click here to learn more about life at Helion.
- 21 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) for all employees
- 13 Holidays
- 10 days of Sick Time
- 3% employer 401K contribution matching
- Generous share options scheme
- Parental Leave
- Free snacks and soft drinks
- Monthly sponsored lunches with the organization
- Monthly sponsored events with your team
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Short/Long Term Disability
Helion is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Disability/Veterans Employer:
NOTE: Women and minorities are less likely to apply to jobs unless they fit the description in totality. We believe in hiring individuals. If you do not check all of the boxes, we still encourage you to apply. If this job isn't a fit, we have many other openings that may be one.
We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. This position is subject to a background check related to its duties and responsibilities.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations or request more information: email@example.com.
**Please note that we require all visitors to be up to date on their COVID vaccination or wear a mask for the duration of their stay.**