We are building something never done before.
Helion is a fusion power company based in Everett, WA, with the mission to build the world’s first fusion power plant, enabling a future with unlimited clean electricity.
We are a team of engineers, scientists, and makers that believe fusion energy can solve climate change on a global scale and ensure energy independence while making electricity more affordable than ever before.
Now is a great time to join Helion! Bring your skills, experiences, and determination to make a difference in the world. Together, we can make a future with unlimited clean electricity from fusion a reality!
What You Will Be Doing:
We are hiring an Electrical Engineer to support the core of the world's first fusion generator machine. You will support the main pulsed-energy drive systems for the magnetics, the energy recovery and re-distribution networks, the diagnostics, and the controls. You will also develop novel ways to measure and acquire this data from high noise, high field, and high voltage environments. You will report directly to our Electrical Engineering Manager at our Everett, WA office.
- Lead the development and commissioning of high voltage electrical power systems for driving pulsed magnetic coils
- Oversee design, procurement, construction, and commissioning of high power electrical systems to drive pulsed coils (<1mS) at currents up to 5MA and voltages up to 40 kV
- Develop electrical system architecture and work with designers to produce electrical schematics and installation drawings for system upgrades
- Select components to develop cost-effective, scalable, and reliable design solutions and lead design reviews of developed systems
- Collaborate with end-users and operators of power systems to complete commissioning efforts and survey opportunities to upgrade designs
- Produce plans, typically long term, for solution development, documentation, and deployment while meeting several compliance, reporting, and safety standards following established engineering procedures in an evolving environment
- Produce cost and schedule estimates related to the electrical system design, procurement, and installation
- Develop technical requirements and work scopes for suppliers and sub contractors while functioning as an advisor or project leader providing direction to less experienced professional staff
- 7+ years of experience in power systems engineering or in high-power, high voltage pulsed DC systems up to 40kV, especially within the system requirement and design phases
- Experience in design, fabrication, installation and test of high voltage electronics
- Mastery of solid state switching technologies and understanding of operating characteristics of power electronic components such as IGBTs, power MOSFETs, and SCRs
- Technical expertise in the application of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory, and practice with the ability to coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership
- Advanced in electronic troubleshooting systems using standard benchtop tools like oscilloscopes, Eloads, FRA, Arb waveform generators, pulse generators, spectrum analyzers, DVMs, schematic capture, and PCB design software
- Experience with Microsoft Suite, LTSpice, SIMtrex/Simplis, KiCAD, Altium, Matlab
The pay range for this position is $122k-185k. This pay range may be inclusive of several career levels and will be narrowed based on several factors, including the candidate's experience and qualifications.
13 company-wide holidays
31 days of PTO (10 sick and 21 vacation days)
3% employer 401K contribution matching
Equity plan offered to all employees
Medical, Dental, Vision
Short- and long-term Disability
Monthly sponsored events and subsidized snack program
NOTE: Underrepresented people are less likely to apply unless they meet 100% of the job's requirements. We believe in hiring people, not checklists, and encourage you to apply even if you do not check all of the boxes. If this job isn't the one, we have many other openings that may be a fit.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. If we reach out to you to begin an interview process, we will also ask if you require any reasonable accommodation at that time.