Flow Traders is looking for an experienced trading engine developer to join our growing C++ low latency equity trading engine team in Amsterdam. The ideal candidate is curious, methodical and a multi-tasker. This is a unique opportunity to join a leading proprietary trading firm with an entrepreneurial and innovative culture at the heart of its business. We value quick-witted, creative minds and challenge them to make full use of their capacities. If you aim high, the sky is the limit!
What you will do
You will be involved in requirement clarification, technical design and implementation of new trading strategies, extending and improving the application's infrastructural aspects, and writing both unit and system integration test cases as required. You'll work as part of a small team of highly motived developers keen on delivering the best quality in terms of speed and stability for our traders.
To enable that, we strive to follow the best software engineering practices. We are supported by the best working environment, latest technology and continuous support from all parts of Flow Traders organization. In particular, our QA engineers help write system integration tests to cover all aspects of the application.
Some of the technologies we use in the development process:
- STL and boost libraries
- GCC-9/10 compiler
- Interfacing with FPGA
- Atlassian Stack
- Bitbucket for code review. We do all work in pull requests, which other developers review
- Bamboo for continuous integration
- JIRA, Confluence
- Python 3 for scripts/testing
- Your own choice of IDE (Vim, Emacs, CLion, Eclipse, etc.)
A day in the life
Morning normally starts with a standup meeting with your team. This is an opportunity to catch up on the progress of development, raise problems and discuss plans for the day. After standup, you go back to your desk to program, review code on pull requests submitted by colleagues, and discuss functionality with trading representatives. Whiteboards are available to let the creativity flow freely. Sometimes a production issue is raised by support, and help from development is needed to provide advice. At lunchtime, you join your team for lunch in the canteen and enjoy a company-provided lunch. During the day, if there are no pressing issues or you feel that you need a break, you can unwind at the pool table or table tennis or do a workout at the gym. After the day is done, you can join your colleagues to celebrate a successful release or socialize in our bar.
What you need to succeed
- 5+ years of development experience in a front office trading environment
- University degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent
- Proficiency in C++14/17
- In-depth knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Good understanding of multi-threading, networking and writing of low latency code
- Ability to write clean, reliable and highly scalable code
- Strong ability to communicate with technical and business colleagues
- Fluency in English
The ideal candidate
- Has 5+ years of experience in the design and implementation of C++ trading engine functionality
- Knows how to write efficient C++ code with a focus on low latency
- Has experience with network protocols (IP/UDP/TCP, preferably application-level protocols used in the financial industry)
- Has a keen interest in building a deep understanding of the trading algorithms used in our trading engine
- Has good algebraic skills and good math skills in general
- Has extensive experience in communication with traders and/or trader representatives
- Has the ability to derive clear requirements from descriptions and oral input provided by the business, spotting ambiguities, is not afraid to keep asking questions until it is 100% clear what is expected and what needs to be done. Is not afraid to raise issues found in requirements with the business
- Can translate requirements in a clearly defined design
What we offer
We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with an extensive onboarding program, access to Flow Academy, the best working environment, the latest technology and continuous support. We go out of our way to retain the small business feeling we started with and stimulate innovation and collaboration through teamwork and our non-hierarchical approach. We offer a competitive salary, an annual discretionary profit share and other fantastic perks and benefits, such as:
- Flow Academy for continuous learning and opportunities to attend domain-related conferences
- Our own company boat
- In-house gym and sessions with our nutritionist or personal trainer
- In-house bar and lounge with an arcade, table tennis, billiards table and game consoles
- Daily catered lunch, amazing coffee and a fully stocked kitchen and snack bar
- Weekly chair massages
- Annual company trip and a variety of events throughout the year
- Global rotations between our offices worldwide
- and more!
As we cannot invite you over to our office, we would like to give you a virtual office tour!
Flow Traders does not accept unsolicited resumes from any professional staffing or search firms. All resumes, and any other information identifying potential candidates, submitted to any employee at Flow Traders via-email, the Internet or directly without a valid and signed search agreement will be deemed free to contact by Flow Traders without any restrictions and no placement fee of any kind will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Flow Traders.