Flow Traders is an award winning principal trading firm. We are a leading global technology-enabled liquidity provider specialized in Exchange Traded Products (ETPs). Our sophisticated in-house technology platform enables us to quote prices on many exchanges simultaneously. We also quote bid and ask prices off-exchange to institutional counterparties on request. Robust risk management is at the core of our business, and our risk functions are closely integrated into our platform. Our headquarters in Amsterdam and offices in New York, Singapore and Cluj, accommodate over 300 employees.
We are looking for a talented C++ Software Engineer to join our Trading Engines development team. The Software engineer will be working closely with the other engineers and our traders to develop and improve the proprietary trading platform that enable Flow Traders to trade on exchanges worldwide.
What will you work on?
- Design and development of complex, highly scalable and latency-optimized business critical trading software
- New tools development as well as improving, maintaining and supporting existing applications
- Translating the business requirements and ideas into software products
A day in the life
I arrive early at work to avoid traffic and grab some water and some fruits, say quick hello to everybody and I lock myself in my room. Okay, not really lock, just shut the door and put some music on the speakers and create some battle plan sketches for the coming day. A quick double-check that my tickets are up to date, then pick the most urgent or challenging one and start coding.
When everybody is in, we do a quick coffee break: time to brag, complain, ask for help, and discuss local topics (both personal and job related).
At 10:00 everybody heads to their daily standup. If we decide to order food, we make our choices after standup.
I put my headphones on and start the fun :) Sometimes, I get interrupted with some urgent code-review request. If something is not clear, I just grab the video-phone and call. I like it as it feels almost like I am next to the person I want to talk, even if he is thousands of miles away.
At 12:00 lunchtime - another nice opportunity to socialize, but somehow we usually end up discussing functionality, architecture, best practices.
Before diving into creative mood, I have a quick look at the calendar as meetings usually take place after lunch, check if I get some meeting and prepare for it.
Around 3 PM our colleagues from the US start to show up. We strive to test as much as possible before my workday ends. They will continue the work after I leave the office.
- BSc or MSc in Computing Science or equivalent
- A Minimum of 5 years working experience as a Software engineer in C++
- Experience in addressing extreme non-functional requirements related to latencies and scalability
- Demonstrable competitive nature and winner's mentality, e.g. through winning Mathematics Olympiads, Chess tournaments
- Ability to write clean, reliable and highly scalable code
- Working experience in an environment that develops their own product (not necessarily finance-related)
- Ability to liaise both with highly-technical colleagues as well as traders and other non-technical personnel
Flow Traders offers you an exciting job and lots of opportunities within the most dynamic of environments with an excellent compensation package. We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with the best working environment, the latest technology, continuous support, and we go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started. We offer a competitive salary and reserve a percentage of our business results for our bonus pool.
Flow Traders grew to be as successful as we are today out of the expertise and experience of our founding partners. Our non-hierarchical approach stimulates innovation and achievement. We invest in our talented, highly motivated people since they hold the key to our success. Our demanding, sophisticated work continuously puts us to the test. We wouldn't have it any other way. We. Love. This. Job.