Hard working people need access to fast, trust-worthy credit and Enova uses advanced technology and analytics to provide that to them. With a focus on non-prime customers and small businesses, we’ve served over 5 millions customers through our six businesses in the US and abroad. We’re born and raised in Chicago and we pride ourselves on hiring smart, driven people who like solving challenging business problems. Our philosophy is simple, “Life’s short. Work some place awesome.”
Many of us consider our people to be Enova’s best perk. We have 1,500+ employees and your teammates are as passionate about their work as you are. Your manager and team will encourage you to think outside the box and will celebrate your wins with you along the way. We’re big on career growth and make sure you have the tools you need to succeed. On top of that, we also offer competitive salaries, health care benefits, a 401k matching plan, summer hours, tuition reimbursement and a sabbatical program. Our Chicago headquarters even offers over 100 different kinds of snacks, a game room, onsite massages/barbers/nail technicians, and a variety of different social events.
What you’ll be doing:
The Senior Observability Engineer will be responsible for configuring, maintaining, and maximizing the platform that makes Enova’s critical applications and infrastructure visible and investigable. Enova leverages a number of cutting edge observability and monitoring tools and is looking to bring on an engineer that will take this platform to the next level. You will be applying DevOps principles to manage the platform and help to drive functionality and adoption through continuous improvement, simplification, and automation. The Observability engineer will join a team of fellow observability engineers working together to make Enova’s observability best of breed.
Your core priorities will be to:
- Implement, maintain, and consult on the observability and monitoring framework that supports the needs of multiple internal stakeholders
- Utilize Graphite/Grafana/statsd and Prometheus to create varied dashboards and expose KPIs
- Design and implement Splunk, Elasticsearch, Fluentd or similar log management tools
- Manage the Event Management and Notification System using BigPanda, VictorOps or PagerDuty
- As a member of the team, recommend and implement an APM solution for Enova that meets the needs of Software Developers
- Maximize our investment in DataDog or use similar solution for automated node monitoring
- Transition monitoring tooling toward a standards-based self-service automated platform
What you should have:
- Deep technical knowledge and operational experience with one or more of these tools or their equivalents (alternates appear in parentheses):
- Splunk (ElasticSearch, SumoLogic, Fluentd)
- New Relic (Elastic APM Agent, AppDynamics, Dynatrace, LightStep)
- DataDog (SolarWinds, Nagios, CollectD, Elastic Metric Beat)
- StatsD, Graphite, Grafana (Prometheus)
- VictorOps (PagerDuty)
- Comfortable using Linux
- Previous experience defining, creating, and supporting monitoring dashboards
- Experience working across departments evangelizing and communicating observability expertise and standards
- Driving awareness and enhancing participation in observability initiatives across an organization’s technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Some familiarity scripting in Python, Ruby, or Go
About the Observability Team:
The observability team at Enova is a team of engineers establishing monitoring and observability standards and solutions at Enova while being the custodians of the observability platform. This team is part of the Tech Ops organization which sits in the Chicago office. The Observability team has great exposure to many departments and technologies at Enova allowing for involvement in varied and diverse technology initiatives.
Our goal at Enova is to recruit, hire, develop and maintain a diverse workforce. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons and not discriminate in employment decisions by placing the most qualified person in each job, without regard to any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.