What you’ll be doing:
The Senior Observability Engineer will be responsible for configuring, maintaining, and maximizing the platform that makes Enova’s critical applications and infrastructure visible and investigable. Enova leverages a number of cutting edge observability and monitoring tools and is looking to bring on an engineer that will take this platform to the next level. You will be applying DevOps principles to manage the platform and help to drive functionality and adoption through continuous improvement, simplification, and automation. The Observability engineer will join a team of fellow observability engineers working together to make Enova’s observability best of breed.
- The office is located within walking distance to both Union Station and Ogilvie which makes it easy to commute from within the city or the suburbs.
- Commuter benefits, health care benefits, a 401K matching plan, summer hours, tuition reimbursement, and a sabbatical program.
- Revamped parental leave program (and brand new nursing rooms for our returning mothers!)
Your core priorities will be to:
- Implement, maintain, and consult on the observability and monitoring framework that supports the needs of multiple internal stakeholders
- Utilize Graphite/Grafana/statsd and Prometheus to create varied dashboards and expose KPIs
- Design and implement Splunk, Elasticsearch, Fluentd or similar log management tools
- Manage the Event Management and Notification System using BigPanda, VictorOps or PagerDuty
- As a member of the team, recommend and implement an APM solution for Enova that meets the needs of Software Developers
- Maximize our investment in DataDog or use similar solution for automated node monitoring
- Transition monitoring tooling toward a standards-based self-service automated platform
What you should have:
- Deep technical knowledge and operational experience with one or more of these tools or their equivalents (alternates appear in parentheses):
- Splunk (ElasticSearch, SumoLogic, Fluentd)
- New Relic (Elastic APM Agent, AppDynamics, Dynatrace, LightStep)
- DataDog (SolarWinds, Nagios, CollectD, Elastic Metric Beat)
- StatsD, Graphite, Grafana (Prometheus)
- VictorOps (PagerDuty)
- Comfortable using Linux
- Previous experience defining, creating, and supporting monitoring dashboards
- Experience working across departments evangelizing and communicating observability expertise and standards
- Driving awareness and enhancing participation in observability initiatives across an organization’s technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Some familiarity scripting in Python, Ruby, or Go
About the Observability Team:
The observability team at Enova is a team of engineers establishing monitoring and observability standards and solutions at Enova while being the custodians of the observability platform. This team is part of the Tech Ops organization which sits in the Chicago office. The Observability team has great exposure to many departments and technologies at Enova allowing for involvement in varied and diverse technology initiatives.
Enova is a leading provider of online financial services that leverages its advanced technology and analytics to provide access to credit for non-prime consumers and small businesses. Our roots are in Chicago, but we have served nearly 5 million customers through our six businesses in the U.S. and abroad. We pride ourselves on hiring smart and driven people who bring new and innovative ideas to the table. Our philosophy is, "Life’s short. Work some place awesome."
Our goal at Enova is to recruit, hire, develop and maintain a diverse workforce. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons and not discriminate in employment decisions by placing the most qualified person in each job, without regard to any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.