The Director of Events will report to the Vice President and will work closely with the Sales, Operations, Conference and Marketing teams to organize, coordinate, and manage upcoming events.
You will be responsible for all aspects of your assigned events, so the ideal candidate will be both analytical and creative and have the ability to successfully deliver against multiple projects throughout the year – efficiently and effectively following a plan to meet targets and ensure a great customer experience. You are an ambitious yet sociable individual who wants to grow in a role alongside an energetic, entrepreneurial, and vibrant team.
- Creating short to long term strategic direction and vision for our events (exhibition and conference). Responsible for developing the events themes, features, promotions, and revenue earning opportunities.
- With department heads, create clear event plan, approved by VP Energy, in line with the overall event vision
- Developing and monitoring event plan to ensure alignment with the business vision.
- Building and developing key stakeholder relationships.
- Maximising revenues and commercial opportunities through the positioning of the event.
- Being responsible for the entire event process including the preparation/development of event budgets, sales strategies, business plans, critical paths, profit and losses, and maintaining financial controls.
- Delivering on the overall event sales revenues (Exhibition / Sponsorship / Delegate) and key account management.
- Working with Sales Director to draw up a comprehensive Sales Plan to ensure Exhibition and Sponsorship sales team are working effectively to deliver maximum revenue growth in line with event vision, covering team structure, resource allocation, focus, exprom plan, KPIs, performance.
- Build relationships with key accounts and co-hosts
- Oversee delivery of the Sales Plan with Sales Director
- Working with VP and Director of Content to draw up a comprehensive Delegate Sales Plan to ensure revenue growth in line with event vision
- Manage and grow agent network
- Establishing relationships throughout the industry and governments in order to ensure the vision of the events are relevant to the markets they serve.
- Developing, analysing and interpreting significant developments and/or trends in the industry and initiating changes when necessary.
- Participating in outside events that will promote the company as a critical member of the industry and community.
- Visiting competitive events in order to make contact with current clients and developing relations with potential clients.
- Build, manage and motivate a high-performance team to drive the event’s growth.
- Ensure that the overall sales team has appropriate current and future talent in place and that comprehensive training, development, and succession plans are implemented.
- Promoting consistent communications with departments and being knowledgeable about each aspect of the event including theme, exhibition, conference and operations.
- Ensuring post-event meetings for each event are held and create a list of objectives and improvements for future events and ensuring those improvements are implemented.
- Ensuring company processes are aligned and optimised to ensure the successful delivery and performance of our events.
Marketing, Production, Operations
- Working with heads of department and event leads to produce plan, approved by VP Energy, designed to deliver the event vision
- With head of department, ensure execution of plan is delivered on time and is consistent with the event vision
- Oversee budget and ensure costs are controlled and managed effectively, including focus on cost savings
- Overall responsibility for the event P&L ensuring budgeted revenue and profit are exceeded and quarterly forecasts are delivered accurately
- Experience working in domestic and/or international exhibitions/conferences.
- Significant large-scale exhibition and conference organising experience.
- A keen understanding of the Energy sector and the ability to build events/features around the key issues.
- A proven ability to position the exhibition and conference that attracts significant stakeholder interest.
- Knowledge and experience of Profit & Loss responsibility is desirable.
- High level of organisational skills, both personally an on a team basis.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- A high attention to detail.
- A creative approach to dealing with day-to-day issues.
- Excellent communication skills required as the post involves liaising with a range of professionals including major clients, sponsors, participants, sub-contractors, suppliers and in-house management.
- Excellent networking and information gathering abilities.
- Good customer care attitude and skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills essential and a familiarity with software such as Salesforce would be an advantage.
Communication and Working Relationships
- Working closely with VP Energy to ensure the event vision is in line with the needs of the business.
- Working closely with department heads to ensure the delivery of the event vision.
- Encourage collaboration across departments.
- Developing relationships internally across the Energy team and externally with contacts throughout the world in order to build existing and new conferences.
- Maintaining close links with senior management to ensure that they are constantly aware of the status of your events and to prepare and send weekly/monthly reports as appropriate.
- Engaging, professional, and diplomatic demeanour.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with an ability to break down complex concepts, make logical comparisons, and identify underlying patterns and connections.
- Conceptual ability to rapidly develop in-depth technical knowledge on diverse topics and an understanding of key commercial drivers underlying your products.
- Time and priority management skills necessary to complete work within established timeframes.
- Excellent organisational skills and multi-tasking abilities.
- Deadline- and results-oriented.
- A positive, proactive, mature, flexible attitude, including initiative and common sense, with a willingness to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Enthusiastic with a strong desire to succeed.
- Ability to analyse ideas from a commercial perspective.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and an innovative approach.
- A willingness to travel around six to eight time a year- often outside of Europe and at short notice- will be essential.
- A degree of flexibility over working hours, but particularly important when onsite for events.
About Us – dmg events
dmg events is an international exhibitions and publishing company. We attract more than 425,000 visitors to our global portfolio of 80 exhibitions each year. Through our global events, our aim is simple. We want to accelerate business through face-to-face events, which is why we work so hard to bring people together, creating opportunities for them to network, learn and do business.
If you have personal flair and energy, a customer focused approach to business, are committed to excellence and are interested in creating a marketplace in which leading organizations can meet clients, and share innovative ideas for business and technology, then you might be the right candidate for dmg events.