Turo is expanding our Government Relations program and seeks a talented and experienced government relations professional to lead our efforts on developing relationships and managing policy issues in New York. This government relations professional will focus their mandate on New York state legislature and executive branch. The ideal candidate will also include government relations experience with local jurisdictions of New York City metropolitan area in their job history as well, but the top priority for Turo is that state-level experience in New York.
This is an incredible opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and to lead the company in relationship building, issue management, and problem-solving initiatives critical to Turo success in New York.
The successful candidate will join a team of world-class legal and government relations professionals who collaborate seamlessly and support and celebrate one another through the challenges and successes associated with this very demanding work. Our success as a team is due directly to the genuine respect and comity we have for each other, which fuels our drive to win time and again. (A robust sense of humor has helped as well.)
The position is located in Albany, New York, NOT CAMBRIDGE
- Drive all of Turo’s objectives relating to New York government relations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key lawmakers, organizations, committees and programs that impact Turo operations with the New York state legislature and executive branch.
- Draw on existing experience and relationships to develop and execute strategies to promote concept of carsharing while defeating efforts by incumbents and others to slow or inhibit our growth.
- Monitor all policy making activities with impact on Turo in New York, and develop engagement, inoculation and education plans to address each one.
- Collaborate successfully with robust team of New York-dedicated consultants and attorneys.
- Contribute content to Turo grassroots website OpenRoad.
- Draft correspondence and collateral material for public use.
- Travel: Travel to and represent Turo in meetings, panel discussions, and group meetings in locations across North America. Be available to travel to California on at least a quarterly basis. Be available to travel to New York City and other locations around the Northeast on an adhoc basis.
- 7+ years professional Government Relations experience in private sector company with specific New York state experience and highly successful track record. High tech or platform business experience preferred.
- Direct government relations experience with elected officials, government appointees, staff, media, trade associations and other third-party groups in and around Albany and New York City. Knowledge of history and politics of the New York state legislature is essential.
- Some government relations familiarity with the New York state federal delegation and other states’ legislative and executive branches is desired but not the focus of this role.
- Strong organizational and communications skills including executive presence, public speaking, and writing is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work remotely with a manager in California and to be flexible, collaborative, and succeed in fluid startup environment is critical.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Apple equipment
- Four weeks paid time off, 11 paid holidays, volunteer time off, parental leave
- Weekly catered lunch
- Company-sponsored happy hours and team events
- Turo owner matching and vehicle reimbursement program
- Turo travel credit every month
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet. Discover Turo at https://turo.com, the App Store, and Google Play, and check out our blog, Field Notes.
Turo has raised $450M to date from top-tier investors, including IAC, Daimler AG, Kleiner Perkins, GV, Canaan Partners, August Capital, and Shasta Ventures.
Turo cultivates a tight-knit team of smart, critical thinkers who care about their work and their colleagues. Our recruiting team is always on the lookout for supportive, down-to-earth, pioneering, and efficient candidates to grow our team's talent and enrich our culture.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. When in doubt, please apply!