Help shape the next generation of ecommerce for the next generation of consumer.
About the role
The Director of Merchandise Strategy and Innovation will lead the research and roadmap development of “What’s Next” at StockX, assist in developing the 3-5 year roadmap for merchandising, and assist the merchandising leadership as a strategic thought partner to deliver against objectives. The role needs a combination of proven strategic thinking and application through strategic frameworks along with the strong research and analytical skills. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a passion for applying this to current culture. The role will be responsible for launching new categories and opportunities that align with and inform the strategic roadmap of the business. In addition to leading and presenting research, analysis, market sizing and providing recommendations on new categories, the team works cross-functionally to lay out the roadmap to build and execute on new category launches. We are looking for a strategic passionate marketplace leader, a member of current culture communities, and an analytical mind that is close to the ground and always seeks to identify areas of improvement.
What you'll do
Strategic Planning & Business Development
- Develop the strategy, value proposition, messaging frameworks, customer segmentation for new categories. Identifies, evaluates, and executes long-term new business initiatives.
- Provides business updates, internal and external formal presentations, and helps drive strategy discussions and frameworks.
- Be on the ground of current culture; set up regular touchpoints with key stakeholders in new category ecosystems
- Drive merchandise growth through identifying strategic partnerships, power user relations & constant buyer/seller outreach
- Manage communication and engage cross-functionally with merchandise leaders, marketing, legal, supply chain, product and engineering to develop comprehensive roadmaps for new category additions
- Partner cross functionally on any business requirements documentation, SOPs, and briefs for cross-functional teams to support growth areas
- Help us see "what's next" by working with our Customer Experience & Insights team and external partners to identify future opportunities for brand expansion that are unique and differentiated from the competition.
- Define success metrics for new initiatives and report to senior executives on performance.
- Operates as a key relationship stakeholder with merchandise leaders.
- Mentors and grows best-in-class talent.
Research and Analysis
- Qualitative and quantitative research and analysis on new categories and opportunities (data analysis skills with excel/sheets or other tools is a hard requirement for this role)
- Writing business cases and building market sizing estimates and detailed data models to support recommendations
- Determine cost and growth drivers for new category opportunities
- Develop growth, margin and unit economic frameworks
- Build creative and compelling presentations for executive leadership
- Explore new opportunities that are adjacent to our current categories
- Partner with international teams to drive research on new categories/products with international potential
- Other responsibilities as requested or assigned by management.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in management or strategy consulting, business development, product management, data analysis or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Finance a plus
- Self-starter and comfortable working in blank spaces where you have to proactively create or identify previously uncaptured data, trends or opportunities
- Ability to deliver results against goals, foster teamwork, and demonstrate sound business judgment
- Proven ability to lead, mentor, and motivate team members and team leaders/managers
- Must understand how to set and execute go to market business plans that drive incremental growth
- Proficient in using analytics tools to drive business insights (i.e. advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills)
- Proven experience conceptualizing, selling, and bringing to life breakthrough innovations
Our global platform offers unprecedented access to current culture while our data-driven, bid-ask model provides buyers with the real-time visibility to know they’re getting a fair price. And, unlike other ecommerce sites, StockX hand-checks every purchase (20,000+ daily trades) at one of our regional authentication centers.
StockX’s special formula has rocketed the company to a multibillion dollar valuation, with 10M+ lifetime trades on the platform—more than half of those coming in the last year. And we’re just getting started.