We are an innovative, fast-paced wireless technology company backed by Eric Schmidt’s Innovation Endeavors, Boeing, SoftBank Group and DCM. We’re based in Palo Alto, CA and our world-class team has built the world’s first commercial direct-to-device satellite network to connect handheld devices, wearables and IoT devices anywhere.
Skylo is hiring an Embedded Firmware Engineer. Our Firmware team interfaces with device makers directly and enables disruptive new products with ubiquitous connectivity that are soon launching in the market. This is a terrific opportunity for someone who is interested in stretching themselves into new domain areas with global impact and is excited to make a notable dent in the mobile industry.
Hybrid or onsite role based in Palo Alto, CA
- Design and implementation of embedded firmware application aligning wireless system design and product requirements
- Work with modem chipset manufacturers to design, implement, deploy, and test wireless protocols for the enablement of satellite communication paths.
- Design 5G wireless communication protocols in cooperation with the wireless systems teams.
- Drive firmware certification with mobile network operators.
- Perform field and lab characterization of embedded modem performance.
- Design and develop end to end performance / KPI metrics to help optimizing connectivity across PHY L0 - L3 protocols
- Enable network compatibility for a variety of embedded wireless modem chipset and module manufacturers.
- 5+ years of experience building and debugging high-quality embedded software.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
- Programming capabilities with experience in C/C++/Java and Python.
- Experience with 3GPP-related protocols such as GSM, 4G/LTE, 5G and NB-IOT. In-depth understanding of RLC protocol is preferred.
- Comfortable working with hardware, familiar with hardware challenges in embedded software development, and comfortable debugging hardware/software issues.
- Highly collaborative, with excellent communication skills