Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About The Role
The Client Partnerships Lead role will utilize a consultative approach to oversee assigned client and account relationships, and act as a seasoned salesperson on the designated category and industry. CLs are experienced salespeople who will develop a rich and detailed knowledge of Semafor;s brand, strategy, products, and policies. They are uniquely able to manage many complex and dynamic accounts. CLs should act as a team player and contribute to the goals and success of Semafor’s Revenue Department, and the company mission. The Client Leads are expected to be external-facing, meeting with clients in person frequently, and travel for client meetings will be necessary. The Client Lead reports to the Director of Client Partnerships. This position is full-time, reporting directly to the Chief Revenue Officer, and can be based out of Semafor’s DC office, hybrid 3 days onsite.
- Use a consultative approach to sell advertising on assigned categories and specific accounts
- Ability to successfully manage many complex and multi-dimensional client relationships and deals
- Develop, build and maintain strong client and agency relationships, within multiple decision-making layers of a client stakeholder
- Provide excellent customer service across all client and agency relationships
- Responsible for a set amount of agency and client meetings every week
- Conceptualize, prepare and deliver sales presentations, working in partnership with other internal teams where appropriate
- Be a dynamic presenter of new ideas to clients and agency partners
- Understand problems clients need to solve and take a strategic approach to solving them
- Manage and reach annual revenue goals based on a set account list
- Keep updated on competitive trends within assigned industries
- Detailed knowledge of Semafor editions, products and sales strategies
- Communicate detailed and specific account information to sales management
- Responsible for accurately forecasting revenue to team leader on a set base of accounts
- Maintain a rich pipeline of revenue opportunities
- Act as a team player and contribute to the team’s success
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to ensure proposals are developed with speed, agility and excellence
- Accountable for delivering to clients best in class work
- Maintain the accuracy of sales systems including Boostr
- Understand the trends (both technological and cultural) impact your sales categories, and translated into an advertising and business context
- Good at networking and developing new industry contacts
Demonstrated ability and willingness to
- Proven track record of growing business and exceeding revenue goals
- Work in a team environment and display high ethical standards in approaching business objectives and working with people of diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
- Show respect for the ideas and contributions of others.
- Invest in a long-term commitment to team and category of business
- Be an expert in their category; deep industry knowledge
- Deep knowledge of our products, our features, our journalists and ability to present at length with clients on these topics
- Travel as business requires
- Work under deadline constraints
- Tenacious and driven in closing business
- Dynamic presenter, high room IQ, owns the room
- Lead an in-person sales conversation solo on large accounts and or with strategic and creative partners
- Set the agenda for successful sales meetings on all accounts
- Helps build consensus around team decisions as it relates to their account base
- Displays an ability to relate to peers, managers, support staff, other teams and departments throughout the org.
- Effective listener and ability to gauge client reactions and adapt and pivot in a sales setting
- Ability to effectively and responsibly manage a T&E budget, and entertain top client and agency partners
- College degree and/or business experience preferred.
- Experience in sales or marketing preferred.
- Good communication and presentation skills required.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $150,000.00 - $170,000.00, with an OTE of $200k-$300k. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law