Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About this role
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, director-level human resources expert who will help manage and grow our international people operations. The team is based in New York, Washington DC, and London, with team members distributed across 10 countries worldwide. Our ambition is to continue to grow globally and to set the benchmark in the media industry for a talent-first culture supported by first-class people technology. You will help lead this effort. Reporting to the CFO, this critical team role will be responsible for managing the global people operations. The ideal candidate will possess an international outlook, an entrepreneurial mindset, and a passion for supporting and empowering great teams.
As Director of People Operations, you will:
- Be capable of and motivated by hands-on action and strategic thinking in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Contribute to building and managing a globally diverse and distributed high performance workplace.
- Continue to develop, and improve the company’s compensation, benefits, culture and people programs.
- Leverage the latest in cloud-based HRIS and people systems to manage a highly-automated and scalable digital infrastructure for global people operations.
- Manage organizational growth initiatives to champion and enhance culture, talent acquisition, and retention programs that create a truly diverse, inclusive culture that will help attract and retain the best talent.
- Ensure company compliance with state and federal legal issues, international mobility/visa requirements, and other international employee regulations, as required.
You will bring:
- The vision and passion to be an HR leader who can grow the structure and support systems for a world-class, 21st century distributed people operation.
- BS/BA in business, human resources, psychology, or related field.
- MBA or advanced degree
- PHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP certification study a plus
- An international background / a global outlook
- 7+ years of progressive HR responsibility and experience with a minimum of one to three years in a management role, ideally in an entrepreneurial and/or international environment.
- Hands on experience with Rippling Unity and with managing an IT-centric HR infrastructure.
- Experience with Greenhouse, Remote.com, Deel.com and other similar cloud-based platforms for managing international payroll and people operations.
- Subject matter expertise in compensation and benefits, training and development, performance management, staffing, organizational development and change, employee relations, and employment law.
- Understanding of the news publishing space and a passion for supporting great journalism.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to communicate and influence at a senior management level.
- Experience working in creative, innovative and distributed international environments.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $130,000 - $180,000. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility and qualifications.
WFH 1 day per week (In-house 4 days/week)
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law