Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About the role
As an Insights Manager, you must be a thoughtful problem solver, interested in all aspects of the media data ecosystem. You must have a working knowledge of data engineering, analytics engineering, and data analysis. The role is highly collaborative and interfaces with employees from across the company to use data to solve their problems. You will primarily focus on developing data products within our existing data ecosystem to make it easier for other stakeholders to do their jobs well. One day, you might be figuring out how to derive meaningful insights for our CFO from a dataset our data engineers scraped. The next day you could be working on a pipeline that populates a real time content engagement report for our newsroom. No matter what, you need to be scrappy, personable, and eager to learn.
This role is designed to be the best possible experience to understand how a new media startup can use analytics to succeed in 2024 and beyond. You will report to the Director of Analytics and will work closely with our product and engineering team, marketing team, and editorial team to help build the next great media company. This position is full-time and is NYC-based, in office 3-4 days per week.
You definitely have:
- Advanced SQL knowledge and curiosity about data modeling
- Experience with data visualization/BI tools: Looker, Data Studio, Mode, etc.
- Knowledge of database structures and database management systems
- 2-5 years of relevant experience
- Scrappiness, creativity, and a love for journalism
You probably have:
- Experience with data transformation tools, especially dbt
- Knowledge of Python and common Python packages for data analysis like pandas and numpy
- Performed plenty of Google Sheets/Excel wizardry
- A working knowledge of Google BigQuery and its best practices, as well as a working knowledge of Google Cloud Run jobs
You might have:
- Experience with AI developer tools like GPT 4.0 developer tools or Bard/Gemini
- An understanding of how to implement low-code ingestion tools: DataDDO, Fivetran, Zapier
- Experience working in cloud platforms
- Knowledge of what Data Management Platforms are and how they work, particularly LiveRamp
- Additional nice-to-have experience include experience with:
- Team collaboration tools: Slack, Google Groups
- Version control repositories: GitHub
- Product management tools: JIRA, Asana
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $95,000.00 to $155,000.00. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law