Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About this Role
We're seeking an ambitious reporter in a full-time contract position to cover southern Africa with a particular focus on South Africa. The ideal candidate will have the instincts and sources to provide distinctive coverage of politics, business, economics, science, and technology, delivering a steady stream of exclusives and deep insights.
The Johannesburg-based role requires a self-starter with a deep knowledge of a range of issues, from the ANC's internal factions to the business trends that underpin Africa's most developed economy. Maintaining high level sources among key politicians, policymakers, academic, and business leaders will be key. The reporter must have a passion for scoops along with the ability to tell stories clearly and quickly. The successful candidate will be part of a team delivering regular insights to Semafor’s audience through our newsletters, the web, video, and in-person events. They will report to the editor and managing editor of Semafor Africa.
- Cover regional politics, business and economic news daily with exclusives and insights
- Cultivate sources that will enable the regular reporting of scoops
- Have an ability to write quickly and accurately with valuable insights for both a southern African and global audience
- Collaborate closely with the video and events team to work seamlessly across all Semafor platforms
What makes you qualified
- 5+ years of relevant journalism experience
- The ability to quickly understand and concisely summarize information on a broad range of topics with tight deadlines
- Proven understanding of how stories spread online, and experience writing for large online audiences
- A strategic, sophisticated approach to identifying breaking news across different issues, storylines, and geographies and an ability to connect on wider pan-African trends
- A broad reading list across conventional and unconventional sources
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility, and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
What might give you an edge
- Local language skills and/or Portuguese.
- Share three *very* short ideas/proposals for stories or publishing approaches that you think would help a new publication like Semafor Africa stand apart in a crowded market
- Stellar business/economic/demographic data skills
This is a contract role and pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc.
Please submit your application by Sept 7, 2022.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law