Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About The Role
Semafor seeks a highly proactive, creative, and strategic mind to join our advertising and brand partnerships efforts. You will be responsible for developing insightful and innovative proposals using Semafor’s portfolio of premium journalism (digital, email, video, events, and more), to help clients achieve their corporate reputation and strategic marketing goals. This position is full-time, reporting directly to the Chief Revenue Officer, and can be based out of Semafor’s DC or NYC office, hybrid 3 days onsite.
Interested candidates should apply with their resume and be prepared to also share work samples (i.e. sell sheets, proposals, client-facing collateral) throughout the interview process.
In this role you will:
- Bring Semafor’s values and value proposition to life through compelling narratives and visual presentations
- Show a clear and convincing connection between a client’s brand challenge and our proposed partnership solutions
- Leverage solid understanding of the media landscape, including expertise in new and emerging media platforms as well as off-platform opportunities, to elevate the ideas we present to clients
- Design and develop a new ‘Brand reputation’ practice built from new capabilities, services and original products – designed to differentiate Semafor from incumbent media partners.
- Work on multiple deliverables at any given time across key industry verticals:
- Technology, Telco, Finance, Healthcare, Corporate, Consulting, Energy, Luxury & Lifestyle, Automotive and Government all with a focus on delivering brilliant programs that bolster Corporate Reputation
- Develop, maintain, and continually refine Semafor’s pre-sale process and go to market strategy
- Coordinate kick off and brainstorm meetings, manage information coming from various teams, maintain timelines and hit deadlines.
- Lead brainstorms with client partnerships leads, agencies, and clients to clarify asks, gather critical intel, and craft winning proposals
- Utilize research and data to articulate and support strategies and creative ideas
- Design and create engaging presentations that clearly and concisely communicate ideas/concepts that map back to key advertiser objectives and KPIs.
- Partner with the sales leadership on in-person pitches and presentations with agencies and clients
- Identify and create core sales materials/collateral for sponsorable franchises, tentpole events, case studies, etc. to ensure the client partnerships team is armed with an arsenal of market-ready materials
- Coordinate with sales leads and post sales teams, ensuring consistency in pre-to post-sale transition
What makes you qualified:
- Ideate, collaborate and project manage offerings across relevant departments to create integrated programs for clients.
- Research, Insights, and Creative Brief Development: you have used proprietary tools, third-party resources and/or desk research to uncover meaningful insights, human truths and whitespace opportunities that lead to a compelling way in for creative and media
- Creative Briefing: You have participated in writing a creative brief, briefing creative teams, and being an inspiring strategic partner to creative teams
- Media Strategy: You have participated in responding to client RFPs and making recommendations for how to use media to bring ideas to life in ways that meet clients' campaign objectives. You are familiar with the media landscape and eager to become an expert at guiding smart media decisions
- Client Deliverable/Proposal Development: You are experienced in owning and creating client-ready visual proposals that are polished and inspiring
- Goal-oriented & multi-tasker with the ability to work on several clients in diverse industries at once
- Strong writing aptitude with exceptional attention to detail are essential.
- Mastery of visual storytelling with origins visuals, mocks, slide design, and data visualization strongly preferred
- Must be comfortable working closely with and presenting to clients/agencies
- Detail oriented with ability to anticipate needs, innovate, multitask and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Team player and entrepreneurial spirit is a MUST
- Knowledge of and willingness to be involved in the post-sales process
- 5-7+ years of cross-platform Advertising experience
- A deep understanding of the current social, branded content, digital, mobile and event landscapes
- Experience working on client proposals in a media environment
- Strong ability to turn information into insights
- Capacity to distill extensive research into industry/client-relevant implications
- Experience developing trend reports/industry analyses preferred
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $140,000.00 - $165,000.00. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law