Who we are
In our interconnected world, journalism needs to deliver common facts to divergent audiences. Our biggest stories, and greatest crises, are now global: from climate change to pandemics, rising inequality to supply chain disruption, political instability to the influence of social media. Yet global trust in the media is at an all-time low. This moment requires a new approach.
Enter Semafor. We are a team of deeply-experienced journalists and media professionals laser focused on providing a global audience with an unparalleled level of journalistic transparency; through innovative new forms, cutting through the noise of the news cycle with smart, distilled views, and exploring competing perspectives across borders.
Join us and help build a global news platform you can trust.
About the Role
We're looking for an enthusiastic, proven, and scoop-hungry Technology Reporter to work with Reed Albergotti on Semafor’s Technology coverage. You will be breaking agenda-setting stories for our widely-read, twice-weekly Tech newsletter, and have a central role in helping produce it. We’re looking for someone who has a track record of sourcing up in and beyond Silicon Valley, has a keen eye for the next big tech story, and smart, insightful views on what you cover. Our focus, in particular, is how artificial intelligence is shaking up every industry and changing what consumers want. Your intense curiosity about technology will push you to go deep while making complex topics digestible for a sophisticated audience that urgently needs to understand vital developments. We're looking for a versatile reporter who has broken splashy stories, can spot bigger themes, and has the desire to join something new and ambitious. We’re also interested in candidates with technical expertise in artificial intelligence. This position reports directly to the Business & Technology Editor and will be full-time, located in the San Francisco Bay area.
- Produce regular scoops and smart stories for Semafor Tech.
- Help produce the Tech newsletter, including putting together charts and other elements.
- Build and maintain key sources in Silicon Valley and beyond.
- Collaborate with other Semafor journalists, across subject areas, geographies, events, and video, to produce breakout products and stories.
Things We’re Looking For
- Three or more years of relevant experience in tech journalism or a related field.
- Proven ability to source deeply amid a diverse array of startups, investors and companies, and deliver stories that blend insider knowledge with authoritative "what-it-means" energy for readers.
- Developed a voice and smart takes on the biggest news in tech.
- Experience in scrappy and/or dynamic environments and willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed.
- A contagious passion for news in all its forms.
- A deep and authentic interest in the possibilities of technology.
- We’re also open to less experienced candidates with deep experience in technology and enthusiasm for journalism.
The base salary for this position at the time of posting will range from $80,000 to $125,000. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law