Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About this role
As Semafor's Head of Consumer Marketing, you will lead the growth, engagement, and valuation of Semafor's audience. With a cross platform marketing team, you'll drive audience growth and engagement for Semafor’s various products, including site, newsletter and social channels. You will also help inform Semafor's Editorial, Product and Data strategy through tracking and reporting of analytics and proactive sharing of insights. This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and can be based in Washington, DC or New York, NY, with most days working onsite out of Semafor's DC or NYC office. Interested candidates must be willing to work flexible hours and travel on an as-needed basis.
- Set the audience growth strategy (both paid and unpaid) for Semafor, with innovative approaches, goals, and KPIs
- Build and execute the strategy for broad acquisition to continue to build a top of the funnel audience
- Create and execute an opinion leader audience acquisition and engagement strategy
- Work with Revenue to identify key audiences needed for forecast
- Develop a valuation decision model for audience investment
- Effectively plan and execute across all marketing channels, newsletter, search, social, and organic onsite growth
- Partner with Editorial leadership to inform editorial decision-making around major tentpoles, areas of regular coverage, and long-term planning
- Partner with Semafor's Head of Product and Lead Designer to establish and evolve Semafor's visual presence across social platforms aligned with each platform strategy
- Work closely with Semafor's Chief Revenue Officer and Head of Product to ensure audience strategies and revenue opportunities are aligned and identify opportunities for growth.
- Be a vocal leader to ensure the entire Semafor team has solid understanding of Semafor's audience strategy and performance
- Keep up with industry trends - steering platform strategies accordingly, educating leadership, communicating changes and level-setting expectations for other Semafor stakeholders
- Bring a strong industry perspective on what competitors are doing well or where they are falling short, and how we can break through
What makes you qualified
- 6+ years of direct or related experience overseeing consumer marketing
- Creative marketing strategies, including newsletter acquisition and retention, brand awareness campaigns
- Experience with general consumer acquisition and more targeted email marketing campaigns
- Strong communication skills, including ability to translate analytics into insights and recommendations for Editorial, Product and Data teams
- Exceptional modeling skills, including Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or Numbers.
- A collaborative attitude and eagerness to work in partnership with cross functional leadership
- A willingness to vocally advocate for the audience POV in editorial decision-making settings
- Management experience, especially training/managing younger managers
- Ability to think and communicate concisely at macro and micro levels, from high level strategy to implementation details
- Experience working with diverse teams with teammates from many different backgrounds.
- Clear experience designing and executing strategies which drive high-impact outcomes
- Experience in start-up and/or dynamic work environment demanding flexibility and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- An entrepreneurial drive grounded in an eagerness to learn and grow alongside the company as it continues to scale and evolve.
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism
The salary for this position at time of posting will range from $190,000.00 to $250,000.00 USD. Individual compensation varies based on job related factors, including but not limited to business needs, experience, level of responsibility, and qualifications.
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law