Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About The Role
We are looking for a creative, ambitious social media editor who will chart the course for Semafor’s presence across social platforms. This role will shape how Semafor stories and videos look and feel to millions of global readers who get news through social feeds. An exceptional candidate for this role will marry a keen interest in journalism and the news with an innate feel for how information travels across different digital ecosystems. This person will be empowered to take an entrepreneurial approach to this role by owning key metrics, determining what is needed to drive growth and executing on those plans. The role will be in our newsroom reporting to the Senior Director of Audience Development.
- Cultivate Semafor social engagement and following through our editorial content
- Work with the newsroom and video teams to coordinate rollout of our coverage
- Refine Semafor’s editorial voice on the different social media platforms
- Build out reporting to measure social media performance
- Fixate on all elements of post packaging with an eye toward performance
- Devise competitive analyses to understand opportunities for growth
- Internalize Semafor’s editorial mission to hone and sharpen our voice on social media
Things we’re looking for
- Experience in social media, distribution or production for a news organization
- A self-starter with a desire to learn, grow and make a fast impact
- A data-centric approach to understanding digital content and performance
- Imagination to think beyond existing news media common practices
- A passion for news and a desire to be at the center of agenda-setting, wave-making issues
- Ability to synthesize insights from data and communicate those to newsroom leaders
- An embrace of a scrappy startup environment with a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law