Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About this Role
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will work closely with analysts, product managers and engineers to build and maintain the infrastructure and pipelines that drive data initiatives across the organization. You will partner with our Product team to leverage data to inform and drive our product strategy.
This is a full-time position reporting to our Head of Engineering, Mark Wilkie.
- Collaborate closely with the analytics team and stakeholders across departments to model, extract, transform, and standardize data to provide the insights needed by product and business.
- Design, develop, and implement data services and pipelines.
- Develop best practices and approaches to support continuous process automation for data ingestion and data pipeline workflows.
- Partner with analytics, product, and engineering teams to design, document and implement our data workflows.
- Work with stakeholders to identify opportunities, and ensure they have access to the data they need to make decisions.
- Transforming and processing data with tools like Google Workflow, DBT and Python
- Help define best practices for Data Engineering at Semafor.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Experience with large data system design and architecture, and a focus on performance, reliability and latency.
- Experience making large datasets accessible and actionable by product and business.
- Google Cloud Platform
Other things we’re looking for
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including experience leading and completing multiple large, successful projects within a high-growth team environment
- Ability to think and communicate concisely at macro and micro levels, from high level strategy to implementation details
- Experience working with diverse teams with teammates from many different backgrounds.
- Clear experience framing & designing engineering solutions which drive high-impact outcomes
- Experience in start-up and/or dynamic work environment demanding flexibility and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- Passion for the media industry and great journalism
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law