Who we are
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust. We are building Semafor from the ground up to enable world-class journalists to deliver reporting and insights with rigor in journalistic forms that ensure a new level of transparency. Our editors will distill the most important stories from all over in formats that uncover the forces shaping the stories, explain the interests behind polarizing narratives, and replenish the stock of shared facts. As a global platform, Semafor recognizes that smart people can disagree and that informed readers need to understand alternative points of view from competing centers of power and culture in a multi-polar world. Our ambitions are large, but we’re going to start small. We intend to launch in just two markets globally, learn from our experiences, and grow deliberately. Want to join us? Read on.
About The Role
As Washington Editor for a startup newsroom, you’ll manage and edit a small team composed of some of the most thoughtful and hard-driving reporters in the world, who would be contributing both to regular publications and breaking news at all times of day and night. We’re looking for someone who knows the stories and the players, and has the experience and confidence to guide, support, and manage experienced journalists who know their beats. You’ll be a crucial member of our growing team, collaborating closely with the editor-in-chief and executive editor, and will shape some of our most important products. This is a role that will grow and evolve with our growing newsroom, and we’re looking for someone with deep experience in Washington and American politics; the proven capacity to deliver huge, splashy stories; and excitement to be part of something new and ambitious.
- Manage a small, growing team of journalists in Washington.
- Lead the production of regular — between daily and weekly — publications.
- Handle big scoops with speed and care.
- Collaborate with other elements of the team, including video, design, and events, to produce breakout products.
- Dive in and get your hands dirty with occasional reporting and writing as needed.
Things we’re looking for
- 7 or more years of relevant experience in editing, reporting, or both;
- Proven ability to deliver big stories that break through the crowded media cycle
- Strong writing and editing skills that produce stylish and concise prose.
- A comprehensive sense of the competition, and of what the next beat of a big story can be.
- The confidence to work closely with tough and experienced journalists
- Experience in scrappy and/or dynamic environments and willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- A contagious passion for news in all its forms
Additional job details
Comprehensive employee benefits: unlimited PTO, medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, health savings accounts, life insurance, 401(k), pre-Tax commuter benefits. (Benefits do not apply to freelance or contract work)
Salary Range: To be discussed with candidates.
Semafor, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Semafor, Inc. will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law