Title: Motion Designer/Product Storyteller - TTT
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team (TTT) is seeking an outstanding Digital Storyteller who can expertly leverage knowledge and skills in motion design, 2D & 3D graphics, and cinematography to tell compelling visual stories and actively take part in the creation of new products and services that millions of people can use. We value creativity, curiosity, dedication to quality, as well as solid technical skills.
A product’s story can be told in many ways, in many styles, and with many different tools. We are looking for someone excited to help create a new product, identify its unique value, understand the product’s audience, and plan and develop a compelling narrative. You will collaborate closely with engineers, scientists, designers, and strategists to integrate feedback with an open mind using state-of-the-art digital tools so that you can bring your vision to life.
You would not just “tell” the story of the product; you will help “create” it.
Requirements (Must meet all criteria)
- 2+ years of experience in Broadcast, Film, Commercial, or VFX industries
- Background in Motion Graphic Design/Animation, Transmedia, or related fields
- Proven and efficient mastery of industry-standard tools: the ability to edit video with relevant software and experience with the production of high-quality video content
- Understanding of cinematography theory and practice; familiarity with capturing high-quality video with sensibilities for framing, lighting, etc.
- Knowledge of 3D modeling or rendering software and understanding of 3D spaces
- Successfully convey your design direction with quick prototypes, sketching, storyboarding, script development, etc.
- Open-minded, independent, and team-oriented work style with a focus on quality and consistency
- Experience with compositing software like After Effects, Blackmagic Fusion, or Nuke
- Familiar with 3D content creation tools and workflows such as Blender, Cinema 4d, Maya, etc.
- Excellent 2D Graphic design sensibilities
- Thoughtfully communicate complex concepts and ideas via the visual media most appropriate for the given challenge (i.e. 2D graphic design, 2D/3D motion design, 3D animation, live-action, etc.)
- Deliver delightful, eye-catching, and impressive video that captures a product’s uniqueness
- Create simple, clear, and concise animated diagrams and graphics to communicate novel ideas
- Create illustrative storyboards to effectively communicate your visions to the team & iteratively refine storytelling concepts
- Understand a product’s user needs, behaviors, and emotions to inform that product’s direction and communication strategies
- Work to understand the motivations and desires of a project’s relevant audience within Samsung (corporate executives, other research teams, etc.), and tailor your communication strategies appropriately
- Build unique and consistent visual “looks” that speak to the storyline of the project
- Stay up to date with current trends in graphic, video, and animation production and implement them in relevant ways
A Little Extra! (Choose at least one to expand upon within the associated screening question)
- Experience in sound recording and audio manipulation
- Knowledge of user experience design, UI design, or other related fields
- Knowledge of presentation design and expertise in incorporating video into the narrative
- Experience working as a producer or director with production houses and contractors
- Experience with website design
- Extensive plug-in expertise for Compositing & Editing software (plugins for AE, Fusion, Nuke)
- Render Engine expertise (rendering software like KeyShot, Redshift, V-Ray, Arnold, etc.)
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.