Remote in Canada
Lab Summary: The Standards & Mobility Innovation team is committed to developing technologies that enable ubiquitous access to information and provide immersive multimedia experiences for mobility users. Our research focuses on:
- Wireless standards and technology including 5G/6G, Wi-Fi, FiRa/UWB, MPEG, AOM, CSA Matter, CSA ACWG, CCC, etc
- RF & fast prototyping of 5G and IEEE 802 wireless systems and/or use cases
- Multimedia standards and technology including VR, HDR, All-IP delivery
- IoT standards and Smart Home connectivity/sensing technology
Position Summary: Join the SMI lab of Samsung Research America in Montreal, Vancouver or Toronto locations to contribute to 6G cellular communication research on MIMO and beamforming, and pre-standardization on radio access, system & protocol, etc. You will also contribute to building 6G prototype systems as a system engineer.
- Design features for next generation wireless communication products, and develop requirements
- Develop new proposals for protocol stack, air interface, air algorithm and/or modem algorithm for wireless products to improve customer experiences and/or to reduce cost/complexity/power
- Contribute to wireless system-level and link-level simulation evaluations involving MIMO and beamforming, to quantify performance gain of new proposals against baseline schemes
- Contribute to technical conferences and/or standards meetings
- Write technical specifications and/or technical reports
- Write patents, and contribute to Samsung’s IPR portfolio
- Collaborate with global team members of diverse disciplines to jointly contribute to Samsung’s product innovation
- PhD in EE/ECE or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- The preferred candidate will have 1+ years of industry experience and good understanding of advanced radio access technologies such as MIMO, OFDM, OFDMA, and Single Carrier FDMA physical layers and/or MAC layers
- Working understanding of the systems engineering and architecture concepts of advanced mobile cellular networks
- Proven skills in the system-level simulation of cellular network technologies, to derive tradeoffs and to predict performance in diverse channel conditions
- Solid knowledge of multiple antenna (MIMO) technologies and digital signal processing
- Hands-on MATLAB, C++, Python coding skills
- IEEE 802, O-RAN and/or 3GPP standards knowledge, experience desired
- Experience in advanced receiver algorithms and link level simulations
- Experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) algorithms and software tools
- Ability to clearly define high level requirements and criteria to be used in the evaluation of air interface technology alternatives
- Ability to generate clear and organized technical submissions (presentations as well as contribution text documents) for standards-bodies
- Excellent verbal communication skills to effectively represent the derived results and technical concepts developed in the course of the work
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.