Title: Lifestyle Trends and Design Research Lead
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: R&D Innovation & Strategy
Location: Mountain View, CA
Samsung Research America (SRA) is Silicon Valley, CA based advanced research arm of Samsung Electronics. SRA’s mission is to research and develop market relevant technology and product concepts to help Samsung Electronics to lead innovation in consumer facing products and services. SRA plays a pivotal role in developing the next generation technology and software, user experiences, and services for future products that can enrich people’s lives.
After almost two years of pandemic-driven life changes, what we once knew about the North American household has changed and will continue to change. It’s paramount that we identify and understand the most influential issues people are facing as we head into the future.
SRA’s R&D Innovation Team is looking for a highly motivated teammate to complement our technology, business, and design strategists as a Lifestyle Trends and Design Research Lead.
Your role will be to develop perspectives on how North America is changing, uncover insights from social and consumer research, and build relevant human stories to inform the creation of innovative technologies, products, services, and experiences. You will play a crucial role in broadening perspectives by identifying needs that will define the future human experience and drive technology innovation. We are looking for someone who knows an abundance of research sources (psychological, demographic, behavioral, visual, trend, etc.), can quickly immerse themselves in a range of topics, and translate findings into a unique point of view on where Samsung should to go (and why).
Technology innovation tends to put technology first. In this role, you will help put people first.
- Must be a champion for people, shaping the future, and creating lasting value for society.
- Design and lead research initiatives, utilizing scrappy research techniques as nimbly and competently as funded research endeavors.
- Identify new behaviors, social trends, and societal drivers in North America to form strategy with confidence.
- Introduce new, emerging, and experimental research approaches, tools, and ways to present findings.
- Synthesize learnings into concise and persuasive stories for easy share-out, influencing decision-making up to and including executive level leadership.
- Actively participate and lead a variety of collaborative creative activities, such as leading presentations, meetings, brainstorms, idea assessment, workshop facilitation, etc.
- Confidently and comfortably engage with lab heads and other stakeholders (up to the C-level) to socialize insights, understand business objectives, clarify internal requirements, and gather feedback.
- Possess outstanding visual (image finding, designing visual information), written, and spoken communication skills to create compelling presentations that are bold, clear, and captivating.
- Partner closely with internal and external partners, such as design and research consultancy vendors, managing the process from contracting to final presentation.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in design research, customer insights, lifestyle trends reporting, customer/social/ behavioral research, and creative storytelling.
- Clear understanding of design thinking methods and principles, with a toolkit of research methods — and the ability to adapt them and invent new ones.
- Proven ability to define, structure, and conduct both research (in-person, remote research, synchronous, asynchronous, secondary, primary, etc.) and synthesis (autonomously and as a team).
- Must have deep knowledge, expertise, and understanding of the North American market, as well as a keen interest in the latest consumer technology.
- Courage to "rock the boat" in a corporate environment, ask hard questions, and challenge engrained norms.
- Comfortable working with ambiguous (and sometimes abruptly changing) directives.
- Must have exceptional presentation design and writing skills, image finding skills, and data driven storytelling capability to package insights effectively for internal teams and executive audiences.
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree required in human-insight related field, such as human-centered design, anthropology, sociology, human behavior, ethnography, or consumer psychology. Advanced degrees are preferable but can be substituted with equivalent work experience.
- Must be disciplined to self-operate and lead multiple projects in an unsupervised environment with minimum supervision.
- Advanced level skill of Microsoft Office Suite, Miro, and Adobe Creative Suite required, with special skill and fluency creating PowerPoint presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and passion for working with key leaders and executives in the US as well as in Korea. Experience working with Asian companies or companies with overseas HQ is a plus.
- English fluency (written and spoken) mandatory, bilingual in Korean nice to have but not required.
- Ability to work in Mountain View, CA required. Currently required to be in the Mountain View office 2 days a week with 3 days working remotely, subject to change.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.