Title: Sr. Staff /Principal Engineer – Algorithms and Standards Research- Wi-Fi- MAC/PHY
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Standards and 5G Mobility Innovation Team
Lab Summary: The Standards & 5G Mobility Innovation team is committed to developing technologies that enable ubiquitous access to information and provide immersive multimedia experiences for mobility users. Our research focuses on:
- Wireless standards and technology including 5G, 6G, and associated verticals
- RF & fast prototyping of 5G wireless systems
- Multimedia standards and technology including VR, HDR, All-IP delivery
- Connectivity standards and technology including accurate short distance ranging, IoT, and vehicular connectivity
Join Samsung R&D organization, based in Plano, Texas, to contribute in the development of Samsung's vision of next generation wireless technology. Develop key aspects of air interface, advanced algorithms, system architecture and related industry standards.
We seek a candidate with potential or proven ability to manage and lead a Wi-Fi standard team (IEEE 802.11). The ideal candidate must be able to work within Samsung in cross-functional, cross-divisional teams and assist in the design, analysis and standardization of PHY/MAC layers of IEEE 802.11 standards. Candidates applying for this position may expect up to one week of travel per month in support of standardization activities (post-COVID-19 pandemic). Performance will be measured in part by achievement of team objectives, effectiveness of team management, the quality and quantity of technical results produced, quality of documentation of these results and contribution to the efforts to standardize selected technologies with the wireless industry.
- Solid understanding and expertise in Protocol architectures and protocol design for wireless systems.
- Solid knowledge of IEEE 802 MAC architecture and protocols and the ability to conduct simulations for validating protocol performance.
- Ability to lead and manage a Wi-Fi standard team (IEEE 802.11).
- Ability and willingness to take on leadership positions in standards organizations as well the ability to generate consensus on “newer” ideas that may be challenging the established view.
- General understanding of advanced radio access technologies used in modern day wireless systems OFDM, OFDMA, SU/MU-MIMO, beamforming.
- Proven skills in the simulation of wireless technologies, to derive tradeoffs and to predict performance in diverse channel conditions.
- Ability to clearly define high level requirements and criteria to be used in the evaluation of air interface technology alternatives.
- Ability to generate clear and organized technical submissions (presentations as well as contribution text documents) for standards-bodies.
- Excellent verbal communication skills to effectively represent the derived results and technical concepts developed in the course of the work.
- IEEE 802 and 3GPP standards knowledge, experience required.
- MSEE or PhD preferably with 5+ years of experience or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.