Title: IoT Software Engineer – Open Source Group
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: OSG – Open Source Group
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Open Source Group in Mountain View, CA is seeking a software engineer with IoT experience that can contribute code and maintain software libraries in the Matter project.
About the Open Source Group in Samsung Research America:
The Open Source Group in Samsung Research leads the company’s activity in open source communities. Samsung’s open source journey started almost two decades ago and we now have open source embedded in each and every product. IoT, Edge Computing, Cloud, Networking, AI, Kernel, Graphics are some of the current work areas and we keep adding new domains every year. The Open Source Group is headed in Seoul and has 8 different locations around the globe that work collaboratively. This job will be based in Mountain View, CA and will require occasional travel to international developer conferences, community events abroad or internal workshops.
The IoT open source software engineer will spend her/his time working as part of the Matter open source software development community to drive implementation of features and functionality that are aligned with Samsung’s IoT strategy. This may include:
- Contributing code to the Matter SDK open source software project. Implementing features required by Samsung products and services. Collaborating with the Matter open source software community.
- Enhancing existing code in the SDK as required to enable integration into commercial products.
- Communicating with the groups in Samsung that lead the Matter standardization and product integration to understand trends and new features. Providing implementation feedback to these groups.
- Reviewing internal Matter related software development and identifying modules that can be contributed upstream to the open source software project.
- 5+ years of software development experience with a strong understanding of IoT and smart home devices.
- Proficiency in C/C++ and experience or willingness to learn other languages.
- Experience with embedded software development.
- Experience implementing standard communication protocols such as Zigbee, Thread, BLE, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical / Computer Engineering or Computer Science or similar experience.
- Strong communication skills. Must be able to communicate with teams and communities around the globe.
- Working knowledge of modern source control tools and processes (Git/Github).
- Passion for gadgets, IoT and smart devices.
- Active contribution to open source software projects and working in open source communities.
- Low-level knowledge of network protocols like IP, TCP, UDP, and HTTP.
- Self-motivation and proven ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with the Matter (formerly known as CHIP) initiative.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.