Title: Senior NLP Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View,
Bixby is an intelligent personal assistant which is only available as a built-in application on Samsung flagship devices and wearables. This application uses Natural Language Understanding to perform tasks on these devices using voice/ text, including but not limited to making phone calls, sending text messages, setting up meetings, opening apps, setting alarms and timers, getting directions, answering general questions, providing information about restaurants and other businesses, etc.
The Natural Language understanding team aims to create a delightful experience for Bixby customers by making Bixby understand the intent behind any spoken request quickly and accurately. You will collaborate closely with experts in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing, and contribute to advancing the state of the art in human language understanding systems.
As an NLP Engineer you will primarily focus on building the NLU platform for Bixby by working with Product Managers / Subject Matter Experts, Lab Leaders, Linguistic Experts, brainstorm different ideas, research, build POCs and propose solutions that cater to the broader business needs. You will work with a small and nimble team to help design machine learning models, data pipelines, integrate into and maintain production systems and analyze key metrics for decision makers to provide insights that will be beneficial to Bixby consumers.
- As a core member of the NLP team, you will research, prototype, develop, deploy and scale innovative ML/DL solutions in collaboration with Linguistic Experts and Product Management teams.
- You will develop predictive models on large-scale datasets to address various business problems leveraging advanced statistical modeling, machine learning, or data mining techniques.
- Design and implement infrastructure for orchestrating end to end machine learning lifecycles
- Set up processes to monitor and continually improve efficiency and performance of KPIs
- Partner with data scientists to drive machine learning modeling, and experimental design such as A/B testing.
- Software development including algorithm implementation, optimization, performance profiling, integration to production systems, testing and documentation.
- Write high-quality production code as you build and maintain robust, scalable machine learning systems.
- Program primarily in Python and / or Java using efficient Software design algorithms
- Scale and improve performance of Natural Language systems in production
- BS/MS/PhD in NLP, ML, AI, Engineering or equivalent
- 3-4 years of experience years relevant professional experience in Natural Language Understanding, Deep Learning, Open Domain Question Answering, Text Classification, Information Retrieval, or Knowledge Extraction
- 5-7 Years of experience with building end-to-end systems based on machine learning or deep learning methods (ETL, modeling and deployment)
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures and run-time analysis
- Proficiency in Java and Python
- Experience with deep learning-based NLP models such as BERT, OpenAI GPT-2/3, other transformers
- Experience with traditional NLP tools such as BoW models, word embeddings, and Python NLP toolkits such as spacy, NLTK, huggingface
- Experience with machine learning techniques, tools, and frameworks like Keras, TensorFlow, pytorch
- Able to solve real–world problems using cutting–edge ideas and independent research
- A willingness to learn and remain agile in a dynamic environment
- Analytical and problem-solving skills for design, creation and testing of custom software
- Extensive experience with software prototyping or designing experimental software
- Adept at adapting academic ideas and theoretical algorithms into a production system
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.