Title: Software Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists and engineers located in Mountain View, CA. Our mandate is to explore what’s next for Samsung by applying bleeding-edge advances in software, machine learning, computer-human interaction, sensor and display technologies to solve real-world challenges that will transform users’ experiences in ways we can only just glimpse on the horizon today.
TTT began as a small team in 2012 and brought its first concept -- the Samsung Gear watch -- to market one year later. Since then we have released several projects such as the Beyond 3D/360/4k camera for AR/VR cinematography, the BotChef cooking robot, the Ballie personalized companion, and others. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science and applying it to create new products and experiences that will impact the lives of millions.
Our team members represent a diverse skillset, including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more from institutions such as MIT, Caltech, Stanford, CMU, Oxford and others. We believe that the best way to show is to design and build prototypes, and that the best products come from teams collaborating to understand and solve a problem from multiple perspectives. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team.
This position is designed for someone who is just as excited to work on a Raspberry Pi or a supercomputer and is looking for a challenge of new topic areas every time.
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales.
- BS or MS in computer science or a relevant engineering field.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience in real-world or comparable settings
- Experience in designing, developing, debugging, and shipping software, and across multiple domains (such as 2 or more of mobile, cloud, GPU, HPC, embedded, etc.)
- Expert knowledge of C/C++ as well as a variety of scripting languages
- Strong understanding of software technologies as well as curious about the hardware aspects such as cache coherence, architecture-specific optimization, etc.
- Ability to debug and problem solve in unfamiliar code bases and environments
- Strong coding discipline
- Ability to adapt to rapid prototyping
- Excellent communication skills: know how to present your work and communicate what problems you are solving
- Ability to receive concise and meaningful feedback while reciprocating the same
- Problem solver, “can do”, ”get any task done” attitude
As SW Engineer, you will be responsible for creating software that interfaces hardware and design to create new concepts and technologies. You will have ownership of software architecture and prototype projects. You will:
- Be responsible for understanding new technologies
- Architecting and programming various PoCs
- Work on a variety of domains from robotics, embedded, distributed systems, etc.
- Experimenting with and implementing interfaces to various sensors
- Stay in tune with the latest trends and technological advances in machine learning and computer vision
- Writing programs and scripts as necessary to test systems
- Collaborating in a team environment across engineering disciplines
- Work closely with various core tech teams and other organizations to define prototyping scope and applications towards various technology roadmaps and products
If you like to design and write code that does what others claim cannot be done, then the Think Tank Team is the right place for you.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.