Title: Staff Data Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Location: Mountain View
The Visual Display Intellegence Lab at Samsung Research America is building a next-generation data platform to support Smart TV products and services. With offices in Mountain View and Irvine, CA, we are close to a number of our collaboration partners. Our research and development include TV analytics, ads targeting, and personalized services. We ingest and process billions of records daily from millions of TVs in the field, and we are looking for an experienced professional to join our team on the development of an integrated data platform.
At Visual Display Intelligence lab, Samsung Research America, we operate as a start-up while leveraging the broader assets of a larger global enterprise. We do advance research and development to immensely benefit our core business verticals in the space of Ads and Marketing. Our team primarily focuses on processing huge data sets, build robust and scalable big data pipelines, conduct advanced research in implementing state-of-the-art ML and AI techniques, build data services that are both real-time and batch based. All those combined provide the best-in-class experience to our customers across consumer electronics and internet of things. Many of our engineers take pride in publications, filing A-grade patents and build robust products and services.
As a Staff Software Engineer you will primarily focus on building unified Audience platform by working directly with Product Managers, Lab leaders, researchers, Big data/AI/ML engineers, brainstorm different ideas and also build POCs and propose projects that cater to the broader business needs. If there is evinced interest to invest on those projects, you could lead them to fruition. You will help design data pipelines, maintain large scale distributed systems, help manage the modern data warehousing infrastructure, analyze key metrics for decision makers to provide visual insights that will change the company direction and benefit consumers. The ideal candidate will be someone who comes from a strong analytical background that has demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Advance degree (MS/PhD) in the field of Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, etc.
- 5+ years utilizing Object Oriented design and programming with Scala/Python skills to design, develop, and maintain large-scale web applications (5+ years)
- 5+ years’ experience with MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, Redis, Redshift, OracleDB or MongoDB
- Data architecture skills
- 5+ years of experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Flink etc.)
- 3+ years’ experience with AWS in an enterprise environment
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills
- Experience with leading large-scale multi-engineer projects
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.