Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The mission of the overall Storage Infrastructure team is to provide the Storage platform for Reddit that enables teams to develop, launch, and run their workloads in a stable, secure, and maintainable manner. The Caching Systems team is a sub-team inside the Storage infra team and we are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead this Caching Systems team.
The caching team covers all systems that provide data caching layers, which includes the Memcache fleet and the Redis fleet. Applications using these caching systems include all core applications that support the main Reddit site, and major Machine Learning and Ads workflows.
At the time of writing, there is a significant initiative that we are taking to revamp the way we operate and build one of the caching systems as mentioned above with the goal of achieving sustained and significant cost savings. The Caching Systems team is expanding rapidly to meet this business need, and we need a new people manager to support this team! Join us on this exciting journey!
Some Of Our Present And Future Challenges Include
- Build out cost effective, highly scalable, and mission critical Redis clusters for the company, with minimal manual intervention in steady state, and achieving high availability and performance requirements.
- Support application’s needs for a strongly consistent caching layer with high availability, meanwhile making reasonable trade-offs when necessary.
- Frequently serve on the critical path of various major product launches for the company.
- Steer: Work with the team to select, scope, and drive high leverage projects that align with Reddit’s goals.
- Build: Build out your team to execute on a strategy and create more efficient, more reliable Storage systems and Caching infrastructures.
- Amplify: Mentor your ICs and be a leader for the team.
- Collaborate: Work together with a variety of teams across Reddit Engineering.
- Evolve: Learn and improve your own technical and non-technical abilities.
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years experience in people management of high performing engineering teams.
- 7+ years experience on backend infrastructure, or Storage systems.
- Strong focus on scalability, performance, and quality. You are an undying advocate for the user, and you have a deep intuition for how critical infra systems work at scale.
- High empathy, excellent communication skills, and the ability to find compromise working across the entire engineering org.
- Redis and/or Memcache experience is a big plus.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation (please use them!) & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.