Working here could change your mind about what you want from a job.
If you made a list of all the things your perfect job would have, what would be on it? Would it include a mission that truly justified the word “mission?” Would it involve being part of one of the best scientific research and production labs in the world creating petabytes of insight-rich data? Would it be a place filled with smart people all trying to help you do the best work of your career? Would it have leadership that could see an almost science fiction-like future and was looking to you to get there?
Recursion is the clinical-stage biotechnology company industrializing drug discovery by decoding biology. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset the Recursion Map, a collection of hundreds of billions of searchable inferences across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias.
While we offer cutting-edge tools and an amazing lab, the secret sauce is our people. Everyday you’ll face a challenge you’ve literally never seen before. But you’ll be surrounded by humble experts who will happily drop everything to support you, get exposure to a wide range of ideas and approaches, and be asked to think beyond the obvious to solve those challenges. Our organization structure and culture isn't driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work.
Note: This position is on a 10-hour day schedule, from Friday to Monday each week.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Discover the root causes of complex electromechanical problems in the laboratory
- Improve the performance of our laboratory instrumentation through careful repair and calibration
- Learn about the details of our laboratory processes to better troubleshoot and repair instrumentation
- Teach scientists and technicians about the intricacies of instrument operations so they can design and execute better experiments.
The Team You’ll Join
Recursion’s Automation Team within the Technology organization. This team's mission is to automate the physical and data workflows within the laboratories that drive our drug discovery engine. Through automation we improve the quality, speed, and scale of our data generation systems. We are responsible for the implementation, continuous improvement, and maintenance of a fleet of automated work cells processing 96-1536 well SBS standard microplates with plate washers, fluorimeters, acoustic dispensers, automated incubators, plate sealers and pealers, etc. As a support specialist you will ensure our laboratory systems are operating in peak condition, troubleshooting complex instrumentation and working with technicians and scientists to get the most from our laboratories.
The Experience You’ll Need
- Troubleshooting and repairing complex computer-controlled electromechanical instrumentation, preferably in a laboratory environment.
- Describing instrument performance and troubleshooting observations in both verbal and written communication.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field with 2+ years working with computer controlled laboratory instrumentation or equivalent experience
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
Recursion requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their first date of employment.
More About Recursion
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.