This is a U.S. based position. The majority of the programs we support require U.S. citizenship to be eligible for employment.
Who we are:
Raft (https://goraft.tech) is a customer-obsessed non-traditional small business with purposeful focus on Distributed Data Systems, Platforms at Scale, and Complex Application Development, with headquarters in Reston, VA. Our range of clients include innovative federal and public agencies leveraging design thinking, cutting edge tech stack, and cloud native ecosystem. We build digital solutions that impact the lives of millions of Americans.
Our team is rapidly growing and looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer to lead development efforts and join our passionate team of high-impact problem solvers. We enjoy the challenges of human-centered design, security, and scale to create better outcomes for our federal agency partners. We are a remote-first and work completely in the open source.
What you will do:
You will have senior knowledge and senior hands-on experience in:
- Developing, implementing, and leading across multiple software teams
- Assess, create, and improve the quality and performance of existing software code, with duties to design and update software databases under contract and direction from the assigned Government Product Manager
- Write test scripts in an agile software development environment with an emphasis on automated test procedures, and continuous integration and continuous delivery of software
- Identify and recommend improvements to existing software applications as necessary
- Capable and willing to perform the software tasks identified in the position's primary responsibilities while working on Government/Contractor software teams
Requirements and Tech Stack:
- Experience with DevSecOps tools and processes such as Git, GitLabCI, SonarQube, Fortify, and ThreadFix
- Experience with Extreme Programming practices (Test-Driven Development, Pair Programming, CI/CD, etc)
- Experience using container technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Bachelor's degree
- US Citizenship and ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
- Experience with backend runtimes and frameworks like Node.js, Spring, Spring Boot, Django, Flask, etc.
- Experience with test mocks, contract testin
- CompTIA Sec+, CMU SEI - Software Assurance Professional Certificate, or CSSLP certification
- Masters degree
- Active Secret or TS/SCI Clearance
What we will offer you:
- Highly competitive salary
- Fully covered healthcare, dental, and vision coverage
- 401(k) and company match
- Unlimited PTO + 11 paid holidays
- Education & training benefits
- Annual budget for your tech/gadgets needs
- Monthly box of yummy snacks to eat while doing meaningful work
- Remote, hybrid, and flexible work options
- Team off-site in fun places!
- Generous Referral Bonuses
- And More!
Our Vision Statement
We bridge the gap between humans and data through radical transparency and our obsession with the mission.
Our Customer Obsession
We will approach every deliverable like it's a product. We will adopt a customer-obsessed mentality. As we grow, and our footprint becomes larger, teams and employees will treat each other not only as teammates but customers. We must live the customer-obsessed mindset, always. This will help us scale and it will translate to the interactions that our Rafters have with their clients and other product teams that they integrate with. Our culture will enable our success and set us apart from other companies.
How do we get there?
Public-sector modernization is critical for us to live in a better world. We, at Raft, want to innovate and solve complex problems. And, if we are successful, our generation and the ones that follow us will live in a delightful, efficient, and accessible world where out-of-box thinking, and collaboration is a norm.
Raft’s core philosophy is Ubuntu: I Am, Because We are. We support our “nadi” by elevating the other Rafters. We work as a hyper collaborative team where each team member brings a unique perspective, adding value that did not exist before. People make Raft special. We celebrate each other and our cognitive and cultural diversity. We are devoted to our practice of innovation and collaboration.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.