The NewStore Mobile Retail Platform empowers brands to deliver an extraordinary end-to-end shopping experience for consumers. Built entirely from a mobile perspective, it integrates with existing ecommerce platforms such as Salesforce Commerce Cloud, SAP Hybris, Oracle ATG, and Magento. NewStore raises the omnichannel bar with one-touch purchase, scalable clienteling, and on-demand delivery — all optimized for the small screen. Founded by Stephan Schambach, creator of Demandware (now Salesforce Commerce Cloud), NewStore boosts conversion, promotes engagement, unifies online and offline, and modernizes fulfillment. NewStore is headquartered in Boston. For more information, visit www.newstore.com.
About the Position
How would you like to be a force-multiplier in a growing and multi-cultural company by writing efficient documentation? Would you like to work in a modern technical writing environment where documentation is treated like code in order to enable contributions and quick publication?
A typical day at NewStore
As a Tech Writer at NewStore, you come to the office in the morning and start a review of a GitHub pull request for some new API. You read the API’s RAML file and the referenced JSON schema files. You leave about a half a dozen comments, mostly questions to clarify the meaning of parameters and attributes, and you make sure that developers followed the style guide. You also add a Jira ticket for later, to create an Integration guide for the new API. Later you meet with a product manager to clarify some glossary entries in the NewStore glossary. You make sure that the terms used in API and the product UI are well specified and consistently used.
After lunch with your colleagues and a round of ping pong, you analyze the questions that came in from the solutions partners to the NewStore support. You look for things where better documentation could have avoided the support request. As a consequence you organize a Google hangout web meeting with a developer from Hannover and a QA engineer from Moldavia to add some example data for an API endpoint. After the meeting, you create a Jira ticket for the work, add a Git branch and edit the api.raml file, adding the example JSON and submit a GitHub pull request to the developer for final review. In addition you update the Integration guide where that API endpoint is used to include the example code.
The documentation being in its early stage you will shape the documentation culture in a very dynamic company.
Working at our Berlin office, you will report to our Director of Technical Enablement and Integrations and interact with internal and external engineering, professional services and support team members.
You are a great candidate if you have:
- Strong ability to learn and apply new technical skills and concepts quickly
- Strong interest in software
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills, German skills are a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline from an accredited college or university
- Some experience in writing documentation for a personal, professional or university project
- Dedication to providing on-time delivery of project deliverables
You may be the perfect candidate if some of these apply to you:
- Knowledge of minimalism in documentation
- Experience in software documentation
- Experience in writing documentation in a plain text language, ideally reStructuredText
- Experience in using static website generators
- Experience in using Git and GitHub
- Experience in search engine optimization (SEO)
- Some knowledge of DITA
- Previous experience working in an agile software development or training environment
- Some programming skills
- Willingness to travel between office locations (Berlin, Hannover, Erfurt)
Questions? Email us: