NewStore operates a platform for retailers to run their stores on iPhone. It provides Omnichannel-as-a-Service with the only integrated cloud OMS and mobile POS. Intuitive store associate apps allow retailers to offer seamless shopping experiences through endless aisle, mobile checkout, store fulfillment, real-time inventory and clienteling. With an API-first architecture and an expansive ecosystem of partners, retailers can deploy fast and flexible omnichannel with ease. Brands that run on the NewStore platform include Decathlon, Outdoor Voices, UNTUCKit and more. NewStore was founded by Stephan Schambach, who pioneered ecommerce at Demandware (now Salesforce Commerce Cloud). The company has offices in Berlin, Boston and New York. Learn more at www.newstore.com.
About the Position
How would you like to be a force-multiplier in a growing and multicultural company by writing efficient documentation? Would you like to work in a modern technical writing environment where documentation is treated like code in order to enable contributions and quick publication?
A typical day at NewStore
As a Tech Writer at NewStore, you come to the office in the morning and meet with one of the agile development teams to discuss a Git pull request with API changes, which involves documentation. The meeting is conducted in English and can involve remote participants from Boston and Hannover. Knowing the audiences of the API documentation, you help refine the text by asking questions to the developers, then you edit their draft based on their answers.
Later, you explore a new feature in NewStore’s iPhone app, interacting with the developers and the product manager to fully understand the feature. You document this feature in the end-user documentation. You commit the documentation changes to Git and create a pull request, asking a developer and the product manager for review.
After lunch, with your colleagues, you write an integration guide for inventory master systems, based on the API documentation that you finished last week.
NewStore’s documentation is still in its early stages, you will have the opportunity to help the documentation team improve the information architecture and shape the documentation culture at a dynamic company.
Working from our Berlin office, you will report to our Director of Technical Enablement and Integrations and interact with internal and external engineers, professional services and support team members and fellow tech writers.
You are a great candidate if you have:
- At least 5 years of writing technical and high quality end-user documentation
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills, German skills are a plus
- Track record of documentation for at least one complex enterprise product
- Prior experience in documenting APIs, ideally REST APIs
- Experience in writing documentation targeting engineers
- Ability to learn and apply new technical skills and concepts quickly
- Dedication to providing on-time delivery of project deliverables
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
You may be the perfect candidate if some of these apply to you:
- Experience in Retail, ERP or Logistics
- Experience with structured writing / DITA
- Experience in writing documentation inside of raw specification files, for example Swagger or RAML
- Experience in writing documentation in a plain text language, ideally reStructuredText
- Experience in using static website generators
- Experience in using GitHub
- Experience in search engine optimization (SEO)
- Previous experience working in an agile software development or training environment
- Some programming skills
- Willingness to travel between office locations (Berlin, Hannover, Erfurt)
Questions? Email us: