At Interstellar Lab our mission is to build a future full of life, on Earth and beyond. We believe in a future where technology is enabling humans to live in harmony with nature, a future where biodiversity thrives and expands, a future where terrestrial life become multi-planetary.
To build this future, we design, manufacture and operate controlled-environment biofarms that unleash the power of plants. On Earth and in Space.
Our solutions combine Hardware, AI and Bioscience. We use controlled-environment technology to mimic a multitude of conditions to allow plants, fungi and microorganisms to grow faster, better and closer. On Earth, we are pioneering biofarming at scale, boosting formation of value bioactive compounds in plants and providing a sustainable and safe source of plant materials. In Space, we provide farming units to grow efficiently food for astronaut while accelerating plant research in microgravity.
THIS POSITION REQUIRES LOCATION FLEXIBILITY AND TRAVELLING BETWEEN LOS ANGELES - PARIS - CAP CANAVERAL SITES.
Position Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be a thought leader who develops and champions new ideas and works with fellow plant scientits to drive meaningful change in research strategies, operational efficiency, and translation of lab studies to our biofarming systems.
- Work closely with team members to design and implement experiments that test the effect of environmental and microbiological conditions on plant growth and metabolite production.
- Provide broad technical expertise related to whole plant and root physiology, nutrient acquisition, and plant phenotyping.
- Challenge research approaches and results with high scientific rigor.
- Implement strong data capture, evaluation, and management including statistical analysis, documentation, and communicating results across teams and to the company.
- Collaborate with experts in other disciplines to incorporate bioinformatic, microbial, agronomic, metabolics and formulation know-how into discovering the most efficacious approach for future product development.
- Drive results, creativity, and effective troubleshooting
- Advanced degree in Metabolomics, Plant Physiology, Plant Biology or similar field (MS or Ph.D.) and 5+ years of experience in plant physiology. Industry experience preferred.
- 5+ years of bioassay development experience in controlled environments.
- Experienced at experimental design based on plant growth variabilities/spatial variations and environmental factors in controlled-environment.
- Collaborative and team-focused with strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to lead and garner support for new projects in a matrix setting without direct reports.
- Excellent prioritization skills, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Strong Communication skills (verbal, written) with the ability to communicate at different levels and audience types.
- Experience with automated phenotyping platforms is a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at Interstellar Lab. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks.
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.