ABOUT THE COMPANY
Interstellar Lab believes that becoming a multi-planet species is one of the most exciting futures we can dream of for humanity. Yet, what is the point of bringing life to another planet if we cannot protect life on Earth? At Interstellar Lab, we design and build structures where life thrives, on Earth and in space. We develop deployable environment-controlled modules and pods through space exploration design approaches. We create ideal conditions for plants to grow on Earth, in LEO, the Moon, and on Mars - from sustainable farming and biodiversity conservation on Earth to astronaut life-support and food production in space.
Interstellar Lab is located in Paris (France), Houston and Cap Canaveral and is constantly on the lookout for people with a passion for aerospace, environmental science, sustainability, and cutting-edge technology. You will join a team of aerospace engineers, scientists, architects, and software engineers - who are former NASA, SpaceX, Trimble, Airbus, Safran, and Dassault employees (meet the team on Linkedin).
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for leading mechanical design efforts across the company for our low Earth orbit and lunar products, driving the pace of innovation and maximizing hardware development speed. To be successful in this role, you must have extensive technical breadth in mechanical engineering concepts as well as specific expertise in architecting, designing, and developing complex mechanical systems and state-of-the-art industrial automation systems. The ideal candidate is capable of acting as the technical lead for a complex system with the ability work across engineering disciplines.
- Participate in system architecture definition, component selection, and design execution.
- In charge of CAD
- Analyze, and verify mechanical performance to meet thermal, power dissipation, vibration, shock, environmental, mechanical stress, size, compliance, and reliability needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support the product development, debug, and release to production.
- Develop functional specifications, procedures, and documentation required for integrating modules, subsystems, and assemblies into our sensor and actuator suite as required by our deployments.
- Support functional safety activities, worst-case circuit analysis, and DFMEA.
- Support and perform reliability testing, hardware verification, and validation.
- Collaborate with a world-class team of experts with a wide range of backgrounds across aerospace, manufacturing, agronomy, software, governmental, and financial industries.
- Interface with our OEM partners, suppliers, and component suppliers.
- Travel to remote offices, project sites, engineering partners, and manufacturing partners.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or related technical field.
- 10+ years of experience in mechanical systems design and development.
- Advanced CATIA user
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals with extensive hands-on hardware development experience.
- Systems-level thinker also able to perform detailed work; has previously delivered complex mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural analysis and failure modes of complex mechanical systems.
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering or a related technical discipline.
- Hands-on project experience with complex mechanical systems.
- Experience with design of fluid systems.
- Working knowledge of electromechanical design, firmware, and system software.
- Experience with electrical systems and automation.
- Self-motivated with strong organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
First Paris (France) and travelling to Cape Canaveral and Houston (US)
Relocation in the US in Q3 2023 possible
Interstellar Lab is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interstellar Lab does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.