Gusto is looking for an experienced and influential leader to join our Compliance Team as our Head of Compliance.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k), expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy. What it is like to Work with Gusto.
Gusto is seeking an experienced compliance leader to join our team as Head of Compliance. In this role, you would empower our corporate compliance functions, including payroll, tax, financial services and health care compliance, to hold Gusto accountable and responsible for managing and thriving under a complex regulatory environment. You will ensure that our employees understand our compliance requirements and are appropriately trained on relevant laws and regulations. You would also work closely with and advise our Product Legal, CX, Engineering, Product and Design Teams on our platform of product offerings and features to ensure that our products are compliant with various laws, regulations, third parties, and our own standards. You will be the center of building and maintaining a compliance culture at Gusto and helping us grow and scale our People Platform .
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead our compliance function and team to promote a strong compliance culture; oversee framework for compliance risk management and work with leaders to ensure effective implementation and adhere to ethics.
- Build and maintain a robust compliance management system that effectively encapsulates our financial services, healthcare, tax, payroll, and other offerings
- Oversee the compliance risk management framework that incorporates risk assessment, training, testing and reporting.
- Advise the business on products and features and advise on remediation of Compliance issues. You will work closely with our Product Legal, CX, Engineering, Product & Design teams to help develop and remediate our products through the creation of clear feedback loops to influence long term product success.
- Evaluate business objectives and regulatory developments, and propose compliance solutions within risk tolerance and regulatory requirements
- Lead the regulatory function and strategy, including managing state and federal licenses and examinations and implement action plans, corrective actions or program improvements, in coordination with key stakeholders like Legal, Security, and Public Policy
- Develop a robust regulatory change management program across the company
- Participate in the Risk Committee, reporting to the board for enterprise compliance updates and prepare regulatory and management reports
- Design and implement a schedule of training which will incorporate all compliance areas.
- Mature our product testing and monitoring framework and provide a feedback loop to relevant business leads with targeted action plans
- Mature complaint management process and reporting
- Develop strong relationships to advise leadership on the company's compliance with laws and regulations through data and detailed reports.
- Develop actionable risk guidance by identifying opportunities to apply data analytics and other technology applications to gain greater insight into risk. Be a champion of technology and analytics to improve risk mitigation.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10+ years of regulatory compliance experience in a highly regulated industry such as payroll, tax, insurance, insurtech, and FinTech or financial services.
- Significant experience developing, training and retaining a high-performing team, as well as a strong track-record of grooming successors.
- Strong history with enhancing compliance programs to meet the needs of a heightened regulatory landscape.
- Experience with building credible relationships with state and federal regulators.
- Experience developing and delivering a comprehensive compliance program identifying, monitoring and controlling significant consumer and safety and soundness regulatory risks in a highly-complex, integrated organization.
- Enhanced knowledge of other laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, and agency rules that pertain to the financial industry.
- Expert knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, production methods, and coordination of resources.
- Significant experience presenting to regulators, Executive and Senior Management, the Board of Directors, and the Audit Committee.
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate course.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.