Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Delivering on Gusto’s mission requires us to have a strong understanding of key economic, workplace, and societal trends that affect our lives day in and day out.
We're currently hiring a Principal Economist to help us define the research questions that need to be answered to support the recovery and growth of SMBs.
Through partnerships with teams at Gusto, you will help design and author new primary research on the SMB economy by leveraging both external macroeconomic data and Gusto’s platform data from over 100,000 businesses across the United States. You relish the opportunity to use your voice to advocate on behalf of others; and share our passion to raise awareness for the importance of SMBs in America and empowering entrepreneurs.
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Partner w/ Gusto’s Data Science, Policy, and Communications teams to help inform a research agenda that includes key questions for Gusto to answer
- Identify the data and methods needed to produce robust, unbiased research that addresses knowledge gaps and informs new policy and company strategy
- Design and author regular monthly and specialized research reports that unearth compelling insights to support our policy and advocacy initiatives.
- Form research partnerships with academic institutions, industry trade groups, and other organizations
- Serve as one of the company’s primary external spokespeople at events, and present research findings to legislators, trade groups, as well as broadcast, print and online media.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Graduate degree in Economics or related quantitative discipline. Ph.D. preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tailor communication to business, media/press, academic, technical and political audiences.
- Advanced skills in R/Python/Stata. Knowledge of SQL a plus.
- Understanding of publicly available data sources
- Experience with quantitative research/analysis in the area of labor economics.
- Knowledge of latest economics academic literature related to entrepreneurship, small business, employment, and labor market dynamics.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $128,000-$158,000/year in Denver & most remote locations, and $150,000-$185,000/year for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.