Gusto is fundamentally changing how the world works by empowering small businesses to put people first. Gusto has reimagined payroll, benefits, HR, and employee empowerment by automating the most complicated, impersonal business tasks and making them simple and delightful.
There are 5.5 million small business employers in the US. Today, Gusto serves over 60k of them, with an NPS over 70. Bringing that value and impact to a significantly larger population of the addressable market requires a strong discipline in Growth Engineering.
We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to lead our Growth Engineering teams. You’ll lead multiple engineering teams that will (a) increase traffic to Gusto’s web properties by executing on SEO strategies and creating meaningful Gusto.com experiences, (b) maximize customer acquisition by optimizing leads and conversion, (c) maximize user activation by providing new customers with a seamless onboarding into our People Platform, and (d) maximize user engagement by increasing adoption of other Gusto offerings throughout the customer lifecycle. You’ll partner very closely with our Data Science and Marketing teams to understand our customers and drive the business strategically as part of a cross functional Growth team.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead multiple Growth Engineering teams whose scope of ownership include our web properties, acquisition, onboarding, and in-app experiences.
- Set the vision and multi-year roadmap for the Growth Engineering team.
- Create a world-class Growth function at Gusto
- Partner with Product Management, Product Design, Data Science, and business teams to structure small multi-disciplinary teams that can move quickly
- Design, hire, and develop high-performing talent
- Bring out the best in the individuals in your teams by enabling them to do the best work of their lives.
- Own shared company goals with cross-functional partners (Product Management, Product Design, Data Science, business teams)
- Create, implement, and support capabilities for cross-functional teams to deploy:
- Experimentation systems for rapid testing to increase acquisition and user engagement, partnering with Data Science to leverage latest techniques
- Analytical components and libraries for integrated holistic measurement of user impact
- Campaign management and targeting systems for owned properties to deepen customer relationships and expand revenue (e.g. digital cross-sell)
- Content management systems for owned, earned, and paid properties to enable scalable creation and testing of acquisition content, creative, and campaigns
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 5 years of experience in a Growth Engineering role.
- At least 7 years of engineering management experience.
- Have led engineering teams of 30 or more.
- Data driven but also a strong intuition: Takes a data-driven approach to project selection and measuring impact. At the same time, experienced enough to have a good intuition.
- Business-impact oriented: Highly motivated by having an impact on core business metrics.
- Strong cross-functional partner: Good at partnering with cross-functional leaders, like our Head of Marketing.
- Technical leadership and execution: Ability to set a long-term vision for the team and drive long-term execution towards that vision.
- A great people leader: Able to mentor, coach, and develop engineers and engineering managers in pursuit of high performing teams.
- Talent magnet: Track record of hiring engineers at scale.
Here's more about the team with a few highlights from our Engineering Blog:
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.